Derivation of "Jesus Christ" and "Jehovah"
from an alt.pagan post by Raven, 1/27/95
brought to you by the Children of Ra Temple
<Xian poster> Jesus Christ, Jehovah, Yahweh, etc. anyway you say it, it means the
Actually, no they dont.
"Jehovah" is using the German phonetics where J=Y
("jahwohl"="yavoll"), and if pronounced like an English word spelled
that way bears little resemblance to the sound its meant to represent:
In turn, of course, "YahWeh" somehow permutes a V into a W.
Both are intended to be spoken forms of the Tetragrammaton, the four letters
representing Gods name: YHVH. But these are not meant to be spoken as the complete
spelling of a name. In Jewish tradition, the name of God is too holy to speak or even
write -- which is why many even spell the English word without the middle letter:
By that tradition, I should not even go on and tell you what name YHVH is used as a
place-marker to represent. But it isnt "Yahweh".
On the other hand, "Jesus Christ" is not a name.
The chap you refer to was named "Yeshuah," the same name we now spell and
pronounce in English as "Joshua". Depending on whether or not you grant Joseph
his nominal fatherhood, its "Yeshuah ben Yussif," or else "Yeshuah
ben Miriam." The Greeks rendered "Yeshuah" as "Iesos," the Romans
made it "Iesus," and the J replaces the I only later -- because originally J and
I were the same letter.
What is not a name, more specifically, is the word "Christ."
This I the Greek word for "anointed one." It was used to translate the Hebrew
word "Messiah" (same meaning), so it is not a name but a title. You might
equally say "Yeshuah the Messiah."
But theres a problem with using "Christ" as your chaps title,
namely that it was already a religious title in Greece long before Yeshuah was born.
Initiates of the Eleusinian Mysteries were called "digenes," twice-born, and
"christos," anointed one. The mysteroi of Eleusinia are the ORIGINAL
So it happens that a Jewish rabbi has for nearly two thousand years been called by the
title of an initiate of a religion to which he never (on record) belonged. In effect, you
are calling him a pagan.
And, yes, you may believe that he shares Godhead with God the Father, YHVH, but
Trinitarian theology is also very clear that these are separate PERSONS -- so they are not the "same." You should know that!
Suggested Pdf Resources
- Jesus Is Jehovah - Let God be True!
- The Full Deity of Jesus Christ. Page 2. Preparatory Study about the Names Jehovah and Jesus: ....
- Jesus Christ: The First of God's Creations? - Evidence for God from ...
- Jehovah's Witness theology claims that Jesus Christ was. God's first .... Other obvious verses from the Bible do speak of Jesus' lack of origin: • For a child will be ...
- the jehovah's witnesses and jesus christ - Theology Today - Sage
- HE sect known today as the Jehovah's Witnesses originated about 1872 when .... assertions that “the literal meaning of the Greek is thus and so.” Dr.
- Elohim and Jehovah in Mormonism and the Bible - Dialogue: A ...
- Gods: Elohim, or God the Father; Jehovah, or Jesus Christ, the Son of God both in the spirit .... The origin of "Jehovah" is, according to Rankin: "In the sixteenth ...
- Jesus Christ and the Everlasting Gospel Teacher Manual
- 5 Jesus Christ Was Jehovah of the Old Testament . ... 7 Jesus Christ—God's Only Begotten Son in the Flesh .
Suggested News Resources
- Did later Christians change what Jesus' earliest followers believed about him?
- This important question results from the previous Q and A item, which summarized central teaching about Jesus Christ that has united most Christians since it was finalized by 5th Century ecumenical councils. It holds ...
- The Exceptional Underwater City of Cuba: A New Theory on its Origins – Part I
- In his Underworld: The Mysterious Origins of Civilization , Graham Hancock examines the numerous structures that have been discovered underwater around the world. Most of the sites that Hancock discusses lie less than 120 meters (395 feet) below sea ...
- Exposing the Secret History of Giants and the Underground Hyperborean Gallery
- With Rosia Montana being a mining area, a number of interesting discoveries have been unearthed there over the years – one of the most interesting being a skeleton of a 10 meter (32.8 feet) tall giant which was found in 1976.
- Billy Graham's Daughter: 'We're Looking at the End of Human History'
- "[T]he time clock of human history is winding down,” said Anne Graham Lotz in a revival speech about the End Times. “I believe that we're living in the last ...
- Funeral/Service Directory
- Verlie Hughie "Verl" Easttum, 64, of Clarkston - 2 p.m. memorial service, Jehovah's Witness Kingdom Hall, 901 Frost Lane, Clarkston.
Related searches2c-i dangers
willard van orman quine quotations
americas next top model
bradford protein assay principle
bird flight adaptations for flight