Copyright © 1994 by The Troth.
Son of Njord, twin brother of Freya. "Frey" is a title simply meaning "Lord"; his original name was apparently some form of Yngvi/Ing. Together with Thor, Frey was one of the best-loved gods of the Viking Age. Frey was the main god of kingship among the Swedes, whose royal family, the Ynglings, was descended from him. His holy animal was the boar, which appears several times on richly decorated helmets from the sixth century through the eighth. Frey was called on for protection in battle, for frith (fruitful peace) at home, and for good weather and gentle rains. He was, and is, often thought of as a giver of riches, whose blessing is called on for fruitfulness and growth in all fields of endeavor. His priests at Uppsala were said to ring bells and clap their hands with effeminate gestures, and it has been suggested that this cryptic reference hints at a tradition involving shamanic cross-dressing. Frey is the lord of the elves, and is especially connected with the blessings and worship given to the ancestral spirits and possibly land-spirits. His image was often shown with an enlarged phallus; like his twin sister, he is sometimes seen today as a deity of love and pleasure. Frey owns a gold boar called Gullinbursti (Gold-Bristled) on which he can ride over air and water. He once had a horse named Bloody-Hooved (perhaps having to do with his role as battle-god) and a sword, but these he gave to his man servant Skírnir (the Shining One) for winning the giant-maiden Gerd for him. At Ragnarok, he will fight Surt with a stag's antler. Old Norse Freyr or Yngvi-Freyr, Ingunar-Freyr; Anglo-Saxon Ing or Frea, Old High German Fro, Modern German (Wagnerian) Froh, Proto-Germanic *Ingwaz, also called Fro Ing (Lord Ing).
Suggested Pdf Resources
- CHARLES (LEE) FREY
- Mr. Frey has expertise in the areas of ocean systems engineering, including software, electronics, data acquisition, robotics, and controls.
- No. 5-08-0210, Taylor v. Frey
- Jan 24, 2011 motion of the defendants, R. Shelton Frey, a former warden of Tamms Correctional Center.
- Biography of Deputy Regional Counsel Bertram C. Frey - updated
- Mr. Frey currently serves on the advisory board of the Legal Institute for the Mr.
- Shandra Nicole Frey
- Shandra Nicole Frey. Utah State University Extension. Biology Department, Southern Utah University.
- Lars P. Feld & Bruno S. Frey Deterrence and T ax Morale: H ow T ax
- relationships within the firm (e.g. Osterloh and Frey 2000).
Suggested News Resources
- Scene Last Night: James Frey, Rushdie, Paul Haggis at Booktrack's Launch
- Photographer: Amanda Gordon/Bloomberg James Frey, Rose Degan and Will Cotton. Cotton said he is doing the costumes and set design for a performance of dancing cotton candy to debut on November 18 at the National Arts Club.
- 'I'm Done Writing Books,' Says Frey
- The project has author James Frey, an early Booktrack supporter, so excited that he's retiring from writing books altogether. James Frey, Rose Dergan and Will Cotton at the premiere of Booktrack.
- Protect Your Health in the Locker Room
- Kyle Frey wrestles for Drexel University in Philadelphia. Because of the nature of his sport he experiences a lot of body-to-body contact. And that's a risk.
- Nearly Half of All Babies are of Color, 2010 Census Shows
- “We are almost at a minority-majority infant population,” Brookings Institution demographer William Frey, who analyzed the latest Census data, told USA Today. “We probably have passed it since the Census was taken” in early 2010.
Suggested Web Resources
- Frey Scientific Home
- Scientific supplies and other materials for middle and high schools.
- Organic Wine from Frey Vineyards, America's First Organic Winery
- Organic and Biodynamic wine from Frey Vineyards, America's first organic winery , no sulfites added.
- James Frey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- James Christopher Frey (born September 12, 1969) is an American writer.
- Frey Elementary School
- Welcome to Frey Elementary School, home of the Frey Flames.
Related searcheshsbc bank malta plc history
descendants of ali ibn abi talib
korban in the hebrew bible
dreaming of classroom
boise river history