Copyright © 1994 by The Troth.
Son of Njord, twin brother of Freya. "Frey" is a title simply meaning "Lord"; his original name was apparently some form of Yngvi/Ing. Together with Thor, Frey was one of the best-loved gods of the Viking Age. Frey was the main god of kingship among the Swedes, whose royal family, the Ynglings, was descended from him. His holy animal was the boar, which appears several times on richly decorated helmets from the sixth century through the eighth. Frey was called on for protection in battle, for frith (fruitful peace) at home, and for good weather and gentle rains. He was, and is, often thought of as a giver of riches, whose blessing is called on for fruitfulness and growth in all fields of endeavor. His priests at Uppsala were said to ring bells and clap their hands with effeminate gestures, and it has been suggested that this cryptic reference hints at a tradition involving shamanic cross-dressing. Frey is the lord of the elves, and is especially connected with the blessings and worship given to the ancestral spirits and possibly land-spirits. His image was often shown with an enlarged phallus; like his twin sister, he is sometimes seen today as a deity of love and pleasure. Frey owns a gold boar called Gullinbursti (Gold-Bristled) on which he can ride over air and water. He once had a horse named Bloody-Hooved (perhaps having to do with his role as battle-god) and a sword, but these he gave to his man servant Skírnir (the Shining One) for winning the giant-maiden Gerd for him. At Ragnarok, he will fight Surt with a stag's antler. Old Norse Freyr or Yngvi-Freyr, Ingunar-Freyr; Anglo-Saxon Ing or Frea, Old High German Fro, Modern German (Wagnerian) Froh, Proto-Germanic *Ingwaz, also called Fro Ing (Lord Ing).
Suggested News Resources
- BYU basketball needs to add a wing — and UVU transfer Konner Frey may be the ...
- But while nothing may be certain and other complications could definitely still scuttle a transfer, Frey is virtually the only option that could conceivably check off the multitude of boxes identified above.
- Watkins And Frey Named Most Outstanding Scholar-Athletes
- GREENVILLE, N.C. --- East Carolina senior catcher Travis Watkins and senior soccer forward Kendall Frey have been named ECU's Most Outstanding Male and Female Scholar-Athletes for the 2015-16 academic year.
- 2016 - The Year The Music Died - Bowie, Frey, Prince
- Jan 18 - Glenn Frey. Frey, 67, Eagles guitarist and founding member, known for co-writing some of the band's greatest hits including "Tequila Sunrise," "Hotel California" and "Take It Easy." Jan 28 - Paul Kantner.
- Glenn Frey's golf course properties are up for sale in La Quinta
- A pair of private residential properties of late Eagles founding member Glenn Frey have come on the market in La Quinta for a combined $4.25 million. Found within the Madison Club, an affluent golf course community, the adjacent parcels each measure ...
- Sheryl Crow, Grace Potter Pay Tribute to Glenn Frey
- Sheryl Crow and Grace Potter teamed up at the 2016 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony in New York City Friday night (April 8) to perform an unexpected tribute to Eagles leader Glenn Frey. The pair harmonized beautifully on the classic “New ...
Related searchesgeoje islands of geoje city
ham son of noah ham in the bible
flagellant modern flagellants
australian english phonology