Copyright © 1994 by The Troth.
Watcher at the gates of Asgard, he can hear the grass growing on the ground and the wool on a sheep's back, and needs no sleep. He is the son of nine etin-maids, perhaps the nine waves. His hall is called Himinbjörg (Heaven-Mountain). He owns the Gjallarhorn (the Horn Resounding) which he shall blow at the beginning of Ragnarok to gather the hosts of the gods. Some see this horn as a cowhorn, others as one of the sousaphone-like lurhorns used in Bronze Age rituals. Under the name of Rig ("King"), he came to Midgard in order to father the three tribes of humans - thralls, freemen, and rulers - and to teach runes and lore to the last. Heimdall is described as very fair, with golden teeth. His horse is called Gulltoppr ("Golden-Mane"). He is a great foe of Loki: according to one tale, when Loki had stolen Freya's necklace, Heimdall changed into a seal and fought with him in that shape, winning it back. Heimdall and Loki will slay each other at Ragnarok. Heimdall is sometimes seen as a rather aloof god and lacking in humour; however, he is a great teacher, and an especially good god to call on for those who work in subjects calling for cool intellect rather than the furious inspiration given by Odin.
Suggested News Resources
- Android Mazar malware that can 'wipe phones' spread via SMS
- In the examples studied by Heimdal, users receive an innocuous-looking text providing a link to what looks like a multimedia message. This link downloads Tor software, which enables anonymous internet connections, to the phone. Afterwards, the malware ...
- Skanska Signs NOK 580 Million Construction Contract for New Heimdal School in
- Skanska has signed a contract with Sør-Trøndelag fylkeskommune to build the new Heimdal school in Trondheim, Norway, The contract is worth NOK 580M, about SEK 570M, and will be included in order bookings for Skanska Norway for the first quarter of ...
- Bilbrann på Heimdal
- Det er ikke meldt om personskader, og brannen ble slokket klokka 19.26, sier operatør Øystein Haarberg ved 110-sentralen i Sør-Trøndelag. Ronny Nordvåg var en av de som oppdaget den brennende bilen som sto parkert utenfor Bunnpris på Heimdal.
- Biltyv kjørte seg fast i snøen på Heimdal
- Like før klokken 20.50 mandag kveld fikk Trøndelag politidistrikt melding om at en kvinne hadde kjørt seg fast i snøen på Heimdal.
- To til sykehus etter trafikkulykke på Heimdal
- Nødetatene rykket klokken 16.00 ut etter melding om en trafikkulykke i krysset Bjørndalen/John Aas vei på Heimdal. To biler var involvert i kollisjonen og to personer ble kjørt til St.