Copyright © 1994 by The Troth.
Freya is probably the best-known and best-loved of the goddesses today. Her title simply means "Lady"; her original name is not known. Freya is the "wild woman" among the deities of the North: free with her sexual favours (though furious when an attempt is made to marry her off against her will); mistress of Odin and several other gods and men; skilled at the form of ecstatic, consciousness-altering, and sometimes malicious magic called seidhr; and chooser of half the slain on the battlefield (Odin gets the other half). Freya's chief attribute is the necklace called Brisingamen, which she bought from four dwarves at the price of four nights of her love. This necklace is sometimes seen today as embodying her power over the material world; the necklace has been the emblem of the earth-goddess since the earliest times. This goddess drives a wagon drawn by two cats, perhaps large forest-cats such as lynxes, and is seen today as the patron goddess of cats and those who keep them.
As a battle-goddess, she also rides on a boar called Hildisvini (Battle-Swine). Like Odin, Freya is often a stirrer of strife. As Gullveig ("Gold-Drunkenness"), she came among the Aesir to cause trouble. She was stabbed and burnt three times, but arose from the flame each time; through this torment, she transformed herself into Heith ("the Glorious"), mistress of magic, in a typical shamanic initiation. This also seems to have started the war between the Aesir and the Vanir. Freya is sometimes seen as a fertility goddess, but there are no sources suggesting that she was called on to bring fruitfulness to fields or wombs. Rather, she is a goddess of riches, whose tears are gold and whose "daughters", in the riddle-poetry of the skalds, are precious objects. However, the giants are always trying to take her away from the gods, and it is clear that this would be a great disaster: she was obviously known to be the embodiment of the holy life-force on some level. Perhaps because of this, Wagner gave her some of Idunna's attributes, making her the keeper of the golden apples without which the folk of Asgard would wither and die.
Old Norse Freyja, Old English Freo, Modern German Frau, Wagnerian Freia, Modern English Frowe.
Suggested Pdf Resources
- Freya of the Seven Isles
- Freya of the Seven Isles by Joseph Conrad is a publication of the Pennsylvania State Univer- sity. .
- The Hammerhead Is Great -- Wanna See My New Tattoo?
- and talk about the Freya tattoo I had inked at High Voltage Tattoo for the show LA Ink.
- Conclusion FREyA: detailed view Examples FREyA Text-based
- FREyA (2): [main subject] date of birth - the actor – hasName – Johnny FREyA is an optional service which can be used by any CNL system (e.g.
- READING GROUP GUIDE - Tricking of Freya by Christina Sunley
- The Tricking of. Freya. A Novel by Christina Sunley.
- Freya Schiwy Curriculum Vitae Professional Experience
- Freya Schiwy. Assistant Professor of Latin American Media and Cultural Studies. Media and Cultural Studies Department.
Suggested News Resources
- Faroe shares jump after oil struck west of Shetland
- It is particularly attractive to Faroe as the find is close enough to its existing Freya prospect to allow a joint development, saving it money on capital costs such as pipelines.
- Liam Neeson joins girlfriend Freya St. Johnston and her sons at The Lion King
- But he appears to have found happiness again thanks to new girlfriend Freya St. Johnston.
- Haddenham woman's warning over drink spike drug drama in Aylesbury
- Freya Hargreaves, 20, of Haddenham, was out drinking with friends at The White Hart in Aylesbury when her drink was spiked with what is thought to have been MDMA, a pure form of ecstasy, mixed with a type of date rape drug.
- Alcohol and speed blamed in fatal accident on Broadway
- A driver was arrested this morning for vehicular homicide after the driver's passenger died in an accident about 5:50 am on Broadway Avenue near Freya Street. Michael S.
Suggested Web Resources
- Freya Lingerie
- Freya is dedicated to giving you lingerie that fits beautifully and looks gorgeous. The hottest styles from a B to a K cup. You should have it all.
- Freyja - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- Stemming from Old Norse Freyja, modern forms of the name include Freya, Freja, Freyia, Frøya, and Freia.
- Freya - WoWWiki - Your guide to the World of Warcraft
- Freya is one of the titan watchers. She resided in the Temple of Life in the Storm Peaks until Loken.
- Freya - NPC - World of Warcraft
- The watcher Freya was formerly a protector of all living things, aided by three stoic elders.
- Mar 3, 1997 In Norse mythology, Freya is a goddess of love and fertility, and the most beautiful and propitious of the goddesses.
Related searchespolo grounds dimensions
spades nil bids
1793 ongoing events
shri mallappa dhanshetti
jurassic coast formation
yoga positions dictionary