Copyright © 1994 by The Troth.
('Well-Beloved, Spouse, Lady') Most revered of the Teutonic Goddesses. Wife and sister of Odin. Frigga is the patron goddess of the home and of the mysteries of the married woman. She is seen as Odin's match (and sometimes his better) in wisdom; she shares his high-seat, from which they look out over the worlds together. Frigga is especially concerned with keeping social order. She is called on for blessings when women are giving birth and for help in matters of traditional women's crafts (spinning, weaving, cooking, sewing) and the magics worked thereby. Frigga can also be called on by mothers who want to protect their children. In olden days, this was especially the case with sons going out to battle, for whom their mothers would weave or sew special protective items. She is also called Hlin (protectress).
Frigga is the mother of Balder, and is often thought of as still mourning for him. She is a seeress, who knows all fates, though she seldom speaks of them. Her hall is called Fensalir - "marsh-halls". She has a handmaiden called Fulla and a messenger named Gna. Despite the likeness of names and the similar relationship to Odin, Frigga should not be confused with Freya, who shares none of her essential traits. Her only departure from strict social behaviour is that during one of Odin's journeys away from Asgard, she is said to have taken his brothers Vili and Ve as husbands; however, this probably shows the queen-goddess as the embodiment of sovereignty. Her name is also not directly related to the English slang-word, though the two derive from the same original root ("love, pleasure").
Old Norse Frigg, Anglo-Saxon Frige, Old High German Frija, Wagnerian Fricka.
Suggested News Resources
- 11 One-Time MCU Characters That Need to Return!
- We watched Loki kill him as he attempted to prove his loyalty to Odin and Frigga, even though it was Loki who led the giants into Asgard in the first place. Laufey only appeared in Thor, but he was visually stunning, and seemed to be a great villain!
- Frigga Fantasy Football Thursdays: Week 14 vs ARI
- And so, I'm going to fade Frigga Fantasy Football as well. My only advice to you is simply this: sit all your Vikings. No seriously, sit them all, even Adrian Peterson.
- Frigga Fantasy Football: Week 16 vs NYG
- For the second week in a row Teddy Bridgewater was the highest scoring Vikings player in fantasy football with 32.9 fantasy points. - Brad Rempel-USA TODAY Sports.
- Frigga Fantasy Football Friday: Week 9 vs STL
- Frigga Fantasy Football Friday: Week 9 vs STL. By CCNorseman @CCNorseman on Nov 6, 2015, 8:00a 22. Stefon Diggs was the top fantasy scorer last week.
Related searchesnatives of ile-de-france
meaning of dreams about tea
dumb amp dumber main characters
dream dictionary rape
top 500 home run hitters of all time
myopia myopia and iq