Amunhotep-son-of-Hapu was a courtier, who was employed as a royal scribe and "overseer of all the work of the king" in the reign of Amunhotep III (Dynasty XVIII). Later, in the Ptolemaic period, he was deified on account of his reputation for wisdom.
Amunhotep came from Athribis in the Delta area, and rose to power in the Theban court. He was responsible for recruiting military personnel and labourers for state building projects. As Pharaoh’s chief architect he would have been involved in most of the lavish building programme, not only in Thebes but also in Nubia.
He was Pharaoh’s most trusted and privileged official, being given management of the vast estates of Sitamun, the eldest royal daughter, and exclusively for a commoner, awarded a mortuary temple. Here, he is portrayed as a corpulent seated scribe. He is believed to have lived into his eighties; his tomb is in the Theban necropolis.
Of all his titles, Amunhotep seems to have been most proud of "royal scribe". His cult seems confined to Thebes, where he was worshipped as a benefactor and healing genius. At Deir el-Bahari, Deir el-Medina and the temple of Ptah at Karnak, he shares his cult with Imhotep, of whom he is claimed to be the inseparable brother.
His statues in the main Karnak temple were often prayed to, as being the way to gain access to the greater deity, Amun.
Main center of worship:
Thebes, where he was worshipped in conjunction with Imhotep:4th Nome,upper Egypt
Deir el-Bahari, 4th Nome, Upper Egypt
Deir el-Medina, 4th Nome, Upper Egypt
Temple of Ptah at Karnak, 4th Nome, Upper Egypt
Suggested Pdf Resources
- Amenophis, Son of Hapu
- A daughter of King Psamrnetik of the 2fith D5rnasty dedieated a statue to him with the following votary test: "O prince. Amenhotep, son of Hapu, justified !
- Study Guide
- The narration - delivered by the Scribe (Amenhotep, son of Hapu) - presents all the spoken text in the language of the audience.
- Contents, Volumes 1 through 12
- (Special Focus: Akhenaten). “Nile Currents” by Lyla Pinch Brock, 3-4. “Editor's Report” by Dennis Forbes, 5-7.
- WHO IS IMHOTEP?
- Amenhotep, son of Hapu - another deified architect.
Suggested Web Resources
- Amenhotep, son of Hapu - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- Amenhotep, son of Hapu. From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Jump to: navigation, search.
- Amenhotep son of Hapu
- Amenhotep called Huy, son of Hapu was a very influential noble from the time of Amenhotep III. Amenhotep was the son of Hapu (Hapi) and the Lady Itu.
- Amunhotep Son of Hapu at Medinet Habu
- Amunhotep son of Hapu at Medinet Habu. Publication of a fragmentary gilded limestone statue of a seated figure holding an unrolled papyrus.
Related searchesarabic grammar inflection
netaji subhas institute of technology
gideon v wainwright decision
laughing owl distribution
abdul-qasim junaid baghdadi