Bes was a dwarf-god, grotesque in appearance, but benign in nature. He was depicted wearing a plumed crown, was normally bearded with his broad face surrounded by a lion's mane and ears, and with his tongue protruding in a playfully aggressive manner. His body represented a bandy-legged dwarf wearing either a panther skin or a kilt, and a lion's tail. Together with Tawaret he was a protector of childbirth, and his ugliness was seen as a deterrent to evil spirits. He is present at the scenes of royal birth carved on Theban temple walls.
Bes was also considered to bring good luck and prosperity to married couples and their children, and has been found in homes at Deir el-Medina. The aggression of knife-carrying Bes is seen as directed towards any threat to the family, such as warding off snakes and scorpions in the living quarters. Finally, Bes has a genial temperament expressed through merrymaking and music. Towards the end of Ancient Egyptian civilization, Bes was adopted by the Romans and figurines exist of him clad in legionary garb."
Bes had no temples of his own and no priesthood. A small statue of him and a shrine was however present in most Egyptian homes, and his picture was carved on bedposts and other everyday household artifacts.
Suggested News Resources
- BES third grade students receive lesson in democracy with recent mock
- A group of Bullard Elementary School third grade students campaigned hard last week for their favorite storybooks during the BES Third Grade Mock Storybook Election, held Tuesday, March 1.
- BCCI, BES explore cooperation
- Manama, Mar. 9 (BNA): Bahrain Chamber of Commerce and Industry (BCCI)'s CEO Nabeel Al Mahmood received Bahrain Economic Society (BES)'s chairman Dr. Jaffar Al Sayegh and the society's deputy chairman AbdulRazzaq Zainalabideen.
- Energy minister receives BES chairman
- Manama, Mar.6 (BNA): Energy Minister Dr. Abdul Hussain bin Ali Mirza received here today received here today Chairman of Bahraini Economic Society (BES) Jaffar Al Sayegh, accompanied by Deputy Chairman Abdulrazaq Zain Al Abdeen, in the presence ...
- BES Science Fair winners
- The announcement further stated that each class worked together to develop a class project to enter in the fair. Each class in each grade participated in the fair and there was a first place winner for each grade.
- BES celebrates Dr. Seuss's birthday
- Dr. Seuss serves as an iconic American children's author, best known for his books, “The Cat in the Hat,” “How the Grinch Stole Christmas!” and “Green Eggs and Ham.
Related searchesfort canning gallery
desire album outtakes
rattling blanket woman
dreams meaning of dream about cricket
royal marines basic training
double dragon cartoon