Imhotep was a high courtier under King Djoser (Dynasty III), who was given the supreme privilege of having his name carved alongside that of Pharaoh himself. He held the offices of vizier and master sculptor. The Egyptian priest Manetho stated that he was the inventor of building with blocks of dressed stone. It is likely that he planned the Step Pyramid at Saqqara
In the Middle and New Kingdoms Imhotep was revered principally as a scribe, and surviving bronzes depict him seated in the scribal position with a roll of papyrus open on his knees. This reverence led to his deification – an extremely rare honor – and in the Ptolemaic period, cult objects to Imhotep are found as far apart as Saqqara and Philae.
Mention must also be made of his ability as a healer, and in Greek thinking he became associated with Aesculapius, the Greek god of medicine.
Finally, Imhotep’s association with Ptah (whose son he is considered to be by a lady called Khreduankh) led him to be venerated as an agent capable of renewing his father’s (i.e.Ptah’s) generative forces. A stele in the British Museum narrates the story of the Lady Taimhotep, who prayed to Imhotep for a son. (Her husband was High Priest of Ptah) Imhotep commanded the embellishment of his sanctuary in north Saqqara. This was done, and in due course Taimhotep conceived and gave birth to a son on Imhotep’s festival day.
Main center of worship:
Thebes, where he was worshipped in conjunction with Amenhotep-Son-of-Hapu.4th Nome,upper Egypt
A sanctuary on the upper terrace of the temple at Deir el-Bahari:4th Nome,upper Egypt
Deir el-Medina: 4th Nome,upper Egypt
A chapel of Imhotep immediately in front of the eastern pylon of the temple of Isis:1st Nome,upper Egypt .
Memphis/1st Nome,lower Egypt
Suggested Pdf Resources
- Dawn of Science
- Later, the Greeks identified Imhotep, called imouthes in Greek, with Asklepios – the Greek god of medicine.
- THE 100 MOST INFLUENTIAL INVENTORS OF ALL TIME
- IMhotep. (b. 27th century BCE, Memphis, Egypt).
- TI-IE Inunmu.
- hotep son of Hapu or Imhotep (Imouthes), or instead some other god for whom donkey sacriﬁces were appropriate, Lajtar leaves open.
- Imhotep and the Origins of Ancient Egyptian Military Medicine
- Imhotep, the first figure of a physician to stand clearly from the mists of antiquity.
Suggested Web Resources
- Isis, Ast, Aset, Imhotep,
- On this page: Ihy, Imhotep, Inpew, Ipet/Opet, Isis. Imhotep/Imouthes.
- Egyptian gods; I
- On this page: Imhotep, Isis. Imhotep/Imouthes.
- Imhotep/Imouthes | RM.com ®
- Imhotep was a high courtier under King Djoser (Dynasty III), who was given the supreme privilege of having his name carved...
Related searchessession 9 plot summary
codename kids next door characters
cuisine of africa east africa
failure rate variations of mtbf
hookes law spring equation