Fishes were often regarded as unclean animals which were forbidden as offerings and food to kings, gods and the priesthood. When the cult of Osiris became popular, the fish was identified with Seth, as, according to Plutharch people believed that the fish form lepidotus had eaten the phallus of the dismembered Osiris. Therefore, on certain feast days fishes were burned and trampled underfoot as an offering.
The opposite also existed, fishes were regarded as sacred animals: despite the belief of the above, the oxyrinchus was considered Osirian, and said to have been created out of the god's wounds. This fish was also connected to Hathor at Esna and the Abdu or Abydos fish accompanied the solar barque and warned of the hostile Apophis serpent.
Main center of worship:
Per-Medjed (Oxyrhynchus/el-Bahnasa), 19th N, Upper Egypt.
Suggested Pdf Resources
- Morphometry and diet of Mormyrus rume in the Lekki lagoon, Nigeria
- Key words: Length-weight relationship, condition factor, fecundity, Mormyrus rume, Lekki Lagoon, Nigeria. Rev. Biol.
- Using Eye Lens Diameter as Age Indicator of Young Lithognathus
- Young Lithognathus mormyrus and.
- DETECTION OF A PREVIOUSLY UNRECOGNIZED MORMYRID
- sented on these two Mormyrus forms, for localities in the Bandama River Basin, Cote Cet article concerne les décharges électriques de Mormyrus .rubundu1a!
- AGE AND GROWTH OF LITHOGNATHUS MORMYRUS
- Lithognathus mormyrus in the Mediterranean coast off Alexandria waters. Total length ranged between 8 and 25 cm and the gutted weight from 7.2 to 165 gm.
- Determination of age and growth of the striped seabream
- The otolim nadings for estimating age and growth w a e confvmed by using th;: backcaicuiation mahod. The striped seabream Lith0grrathu.s mormyrus.
Suggested News Resources
- Alberto García, de Zumaia, ganó el Campeonato de Pesca de Izkiro
- cinco erlas (lithognathus mormyrus), siete muxarras (Diplodus spp), dos itsaskabra (scorpaena spp), un arraigorri (Aspitrigla cuculus) y un lamote (pagelus erythi).
Suggested Web Resources
- Mormyrus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- Mormyrus is a genus of fish in the Mormyridae family.  Species.
- Mormyrus longirostris - YouTube
- Aug 8, 2010 Mormyrus longirostris(Eastern bottlenose mormyrid)by fourkit2515 views · Thumbnail 0:47. Add to.
- Lithognathus mormyrus, Sand steenbras : fisheries, gamefish
- Lithognathus mormyrus (Linnaeus, 1758). Sand steenbras All pictures | Google image |.
- Lithognathus mormyrus
- Lithognathus mormyrus (Linnaeus, 1758).
- Mormyrus - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster
- Definition of Mormyrus from the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary with audio pronunciations, thesaurus, Word of the Day, and word games.
Related searchescooling curve
compulsive trading in financial markets
shan hai jing
philadelphia convention virginia plan
traverse city michigan geography
south african 44 parachute regiment