From the beginning a local goddess in El Kab (Nekheb), later one of the two goddesses of Upper and Lower Egypt. She and the goddess Ouadjet represented the symbolical two halves of Egypt. Their forms showed Nekhbet as a vulture and Ouadjet as a snake. Together they embodied the two crowns of the country and were part of the royal insignia. They also represented the mythical mothers of the king and were shown offering their nurturing breasts to him. In the New Kingdom Nekhbet was worshipped as a goddess of childbirth, often shown as a woman wearing a vulture skin.
Per-Wadjet/Buto, 5th Nome, Lower Egypt
Suggested News Resources
- See Nearly 100-Year-Old Pictures of King Tut's Tomb in Color for the First Time
- The 1922 discovery of the Egyptian boy King Tutankhamun's tomb by Howard Carter was extensively documented in black-and-white by photographer Harry Burton. Now, nearly 100 years later, some of Burton's iconic photographs are being revealed in color ...
- Ahram Online takes a peek around the workshop of renowned Egyptian jewelry
- Necklaces and bangles celebrated the ostrich feather of Maat and the protection symbolism of the goddess Nekhbet, spreading her wings, and in some pieces encircling the wrist with a single wing. Photo: Azza Fahmy collection and workshop( Ahramonline).
- Guts and grit behind the gold and glitz of Tutankhamun
- Only when we are halfway through my guided tour of Discovering Tutankhamun does Liam McNamara, the Ashmolean Museum's assistant keeper of Ancient Egypt, drop his bombshell. “These botanical samples,” he says, pointing to a small heap of seeds, ...
- Mausoleum of Egypt's 1919 revolution leader Saad Zaghloul is, in fact, open
- The mausoleum of Saad Zaghloul is an impressive yet rarely visited edifice in the middle class neighbourhood of Mounira in downtown Cairo. (All Photos by Hannah Porter). The neo-Pharaonic building was constructed in the 1930's by famous Egyptian ...
Related searchesaromatic medicine
philosophy of the upanishads
princess leias home planet
alice munro writing style
islam in the united kingdom history
summa totius logicae