Shu is one of the Heliopolitan Ennead. He is the god of sunlight and air, first recorded in the Old Kingdom, where he was responsible for bringing Ra and the king to life every day. Over a millenium later, Akenaten was to continue this tradition, by commemorating Shu as dwelling in the sun’s disk.
Shu is one of the first two deities created by Atum, the sun-god of Heliopolis. The semen (or in an alternative tradition, the mucus sneezed by Atum from his nostrils) of Atum gave birth to Shu.
His wife, and also his twin sister, is Tefnut, the goddess of moisture.
Shu holds aloft the sky, and keeps separate his two children Geb the earth god, and Nut, the goddess of the sky.
In sacred art, Shu is shown in human form with an ostrich feather on his head, the hieroglyph of his name.
In the Underworld, Shu is dangerous, leading a band of torturers and executioners, whose slaughtering-block represents a great peril for the deceased. On the other hand, he is also a protection against the snake-god Apophis, and Shu’s spells can ward off the poisons of Apophis.
Shu belongs to the cosmic deities and as such no temples were dedicated to him. There seems to have been no priesthood serving solely Shu either.
A Chapelwas built to Shu, Atum, Tefnut, Re-Harakhte and the Theban triad at Tjeku/Pithom, 8th N, Lower Egypt, by Osorkon II (22nd Dyn.)
Festivals: (not historically verified)
30th August – 13th Paopi - Day of Satisfying the Hearts of the Ennead
14th May – 30th Payni - Tehuti (Thoth) appears with Shu to bring back Tefnut
2nd April – 18th Pachons - Day of Joy of the Ennead and crew of Ra
15th November – 30th Koiak - Ennead Feast in the House of Ra
2nd October – 16th Hethara - Day of the appearance of the eight Great Netjers (Primordials)
Suggested News Resources
- SHU women roll into NEC championship game
- “Coach is always preaching one game at a time, one quarter at a time, one possession at a time,” said SHU senior forward Alissa Tarsi, who scored 20 of her game-high 25 points in the second half.
- Pro Tips From Ludovic Engrand: Shu Uemera's Makeup Maestro
- Ludovic Engrand has been working as the head makeup artist for Japanese brand Shu Uemura for 10 years. He has worked with incredible brands through his 23 year career as a makeup artist. He is the second most sought after makeup-artist in France.
- Hiao Shu Yu
- Hiao Shu Yu, 91, of The Villages, FL, passed away Monday, March 7, 2016. She had lived in The Villages for a short time, moving here from Marlboro, New Jersey. She had been a practicing physician for over 45 years.
- Big city life: SHU's New Yorkers excited for MSG
- Isaiah Whitehead, Desi Rodriguez and Khadeen Carrington will hold home court advantage when Seton Hall starts its postseason run with the Big East Tournament at Madison Square Garden on March 10. All three sophomore sensations are from New York.
- SHU community affected by rising NJ heroin epidemic
- It was Thanksgiving 2014 when Christina Dunham, a junior double major in environmental studies and Catholic studies, responded to a call as a Monmouth County EMT (emergency medical technician) for a heroin overdose. Dunham said just one look at the ...