Tefnut, meaning moisture like rain, dew and clouds, was according to myth created by the primeval god Atum of the Ennead in Heliopolis together with her brother Shu, air. With them duality started and the sexual cycle was begun. When Atum later was assimilated by Re, they were considered children of Re, the sungod. In the beginning Tefnut was regarded as the lunar eye, but in myth she developed into the solar eye and later the uraeus. She then aquired the name "lady of flame" and "the uraeus on the heads of all the gods".
In Buto, she and Shu were worshipped as the flamingo-like "children of the Lower Egyptian king", a mythical image for the sun and the moon. In Leontopolis they were identified with the lion worship there. She can be depicted both as a lioness and as a woman with a lion´s head like Sekhmet whose ears are rounded while Tefnut´s are pointed.
Main center of worship:
Mainly connected to the Ennead at IunuHeliopolis/Cairo, 13th N, Lower Egypt.
11th Nome, Lower Egypt
Festivals: (exact dates not historically verified)
30th August - 13th Paopi - Day of Satisfying the Hearts of
29th October - 13th Koiak - Day of Going Forth of Het-Hert
and the Ennead
15th November - 30th Koiak - The Ennead feast in the House of
Ra, Heru and Wasir
Suggested Pdf Resources
- DIEUX EGYPTIENS
- TEFNET ...........................................43. TEFNUT...........................................
- VETENSKAP, RELIGION ELLER HOKUS POKUS
- Atun ”födde” därvid Shu och Tefnet vilka ses som de manifesterade polariseringar i den maskulina och feminina aspekten av enheten Atun.
Suggested Web Resources
- Thoth, Djehuti, Ta-tenen, Tawaret, Tefnut,
- On this page: Ta-tenen - Taweret, Tefnut, Thoth, Tayet Tefnut/Tefnet.
- Egyptian gods; T
- TEFNUT TEFNUT/TEFNET (TEFENIS,TFENIS) | Mitología Egipcia
- Información sobre TEFNUT TEFNUT/TEFNET TEFENIS,TFENIS , dios o deidad de la Mitología Egipcia.
- Tefnut - Ancient Egypt Online
- Tefnut (Tefenet, Tefnet) was an ancient Egyptian goddess of moisture, but was strongly associated with both the moon and the sun.
empiricism empiricism and science
e d nixon
computer literacy social implications
rotational symmetry c2
bioinformatics sequence analysis