What is Unique to Hypnosis?
From the Hypnosis FAQ by Todd I. Stark
Web version, revision 2. Last update: February 16, 1997.
There is nothing that we can do under hypnosis that we cannot
do under other conditions. A long series of laboratory experiments
by T.X. Barber and colleagues compared a wide variety of abilities
under hypnosis with abilities under conditions of non-hypnotic
motivational instructions. Similar experiments since then have
all confirmed his results. Any differences found between our abilities
under hypnosis and our abilities when motivated without hypnosis
are extremely subtle. There does not seem to be very much that
is unique about the hypnotic induction, although it is a very
convenient way to create the desired effects in some people.
The thing that is unique to hypnosis is not so much what we are
able to do, but the experience we have while doing it. While there
are other conditions under which we have similar experiences,
few can be controlled and maintained as easily as hypnosis.
The point about hypnosis is that, at least for some people, it
provides a reliable way of making use of our normal capacities
in a more controlled way. Hypnosis does not provide any special
abilities. It provides a cooperative setting for experiencing
things in response to suggestion that we experience spontaneously
under other conditions.
On the other hand, the simple capacity to make use of various
normal abilities at will can be of extraordinary usefulness. For
example, we have a natural ability to suppress pain and other
sensations, but with hypnosis we are able to reliably make use
of this talent. As another example, we have a natural ability
to imagine things vividly as if they were real, but we can potentially
make more effective use of this talent under hypnosis.
Things sometimes claimed unique to hypnotic responding :
- Hypnosis and memory
- Effects on the skin
- Effects on the immune system
- Pain control
- Time distortion
- Posthypnotic suggestions
Suggested Pdf Resources
- How is Hypnobabies different from other Childbirth Hypnosis
- How is Hypnobabies different from other Childbirth Hypnosis programs?
- What is hypnosis?
- encounter with it is different, depending on that person. However, it is not sleep. Hypnosis is often defined by what it is not.
- Is Hypnosis a Distinct Form of Consciousness?
- It could also lend credibility to claims that hypnosis is a unique means of reducing pain or of effecting dramatic psychological and medical cures.
- Hypnosis Demystified: What You Must Know About Hypnosis
- and/or nonverbal techniques, the client's willing, desirous entry into the state of hypnosis.
Suggested News Resources
- Stress Relief: Hypnotic Eye Rocket from 'Superfly Thug' Mongo Slade Relieves
- It was while in a deep hypnotic trance that Slade began to turn his thug life mentality around by redefining the word THUG as an acronym meaning: Thirsty for success, Hungry for growth, Unique and Gifted.
- A Bitch of a comedy hypnosis show
- The fact remains, my show can play the same venue seven nights a week and each show will be completely different thanks to my guest stars on stage each night.
- Hypogician to cast Reps spell
- Brought to the country by Sound Event Management, Troye the Hypnogician — real name Troye Keuvelaar — is a hypnotist and illusionist who undertakes a number of entertaining stage acts that include mind reading, hypnosis and illusions.
- Panda 2.4 and Analytics Session Update Rolled Out Simultaneously
- The author's posts are entirely his or her own (excluding the unlikely event of hypnosis) and may not always reflect the views of SEOmoz, Inc.
- Zimbabwe: Hypnogician Returns to Country
- Brought to the country by Sound Event Management, Troye the Hypnogician real name Troye Keuvelaar is a hypnotist and illusionist who undertakes a number of entertaining stage acts that include mind reading, hypnosis and illusions.
Suggested Web Resources
- Inner Harmony Hypnosis
- What is Unique about Hypnosis? Hypnosis is an ancient method that even today is poorly understood.
- What is hypnosis?
- But trance logic is not unique to hypnosis; it also occurs in dreams. Hypnosis and amnesia.