Who can use hypnosis effectively?
From the Hypnosis FAQ by Todd I. Stark
Web version, revision 2. Last update: February 16, 1997.
Nearly anyone can make use of hypnosis in some sense. However,
there are distinct differences in how easily people can respond
to suggestion in a way that seems involuntary or effortless. This
is in important aspect of induction.
The most dramatic and consistent result in hypnosis has been the
discovery of "hypnotizability." This refers to an ability
to experience the classic hypnotic phenomena. Hypnotizability
is remarkably stable over time although it can sometimes be modified
by various means with some effort. About ten percent of the population
is naturally "highly hypnotizable," and a few percent
find classic hypnotic responses almost impossible to produce no
matter what they try. The remainder of the population, most of
us, are capable of experiencing some of the hypnotic phenomena
fairly easily but have difficulty with others. Since most uses
of hypnosis involve imagination and fantasy rather than primary
suggestibility per se, hypnosis of a sort is still possible even
with "low hypnotizable" clients, but it may not be the
best choice of technique for therapy with them.
The closest thing that hypnotizability is related to is the quality
of imaginative absorption. The correlation with imaginative
absorption is not nearly strong enough to call them the same thing
as hypnotizability. Absorption is the ability to become particularly
involved in something, such that things that would normally be
very distracting are not even noticed. Absorption is believed
to be a personality trait, likely a sub-scale of the trait of
openness from the "Big Five" personality model.
Openness measures our willingness to explore and to consider unusual
alternatives. Some of the most effective methods of improving
hypnotic responsiveness involve engaging in behaviors that are
most typical of people high in the openness trait.
A strong talent for imaginative absorption is not enough to guarantee
hypnotizability. Hypnosis-relevant attitudes and the relationship
between the hypnotist and the client also play an important role,
as does a capacity to respond in an automatic way to language.
While hypnotic suggestions often involve compatible images, or
goal directed fantasies, these are not essential for response.
In fact, research has shown that hypnotic responses to verbal
suggestions occur even when we are concentrating on goal directed
fantasies that are incompatible with the suggestion. For example,
a suggestion that the hand is light might be combined with imagery
of a heavy weight pulling the hand down. The hand still rises.
So we know that while vivid imagery is a big part of making use
of hypnosis, it is not the sole explanation for or cause of hypnotic
Suggested Pdf Resources
- Hypnosis in Family Practice
- years, hypnosis has been used more directly, less subtly and more effectively to . in its use before he can use it effectively to help his patients.
- What Can Hypnosis Be hypnosis can be used specifically for you; how it can be used to help only that you have the ability to use hypnosis effectively.
- Rapport-Building for HGSHS:A
- can't, who can be hypnotized and who can't, we can help clinicians to use hypnosis more appropriately and effectively in their practice.
- Using Hypnotic Phenomena
- 3 ways to use hypnotic phenomena to aid therapy.
Suggested News Resources
- Hypnosis Proving to Offer Health Benefits, Studies Say
- Over the last 10 years hypnosis has gained more recognition because more and more research shows hypnotherapy can effectively treat medical conditions.
- Tinnitus: the less you fear it, the less you hear it
- Hypnosis is a therapy that has the potential to help you cope more effectively with your tinnitus, although it is often misunderstood.
- Content Marketing for the Talent-Impaired
- I'm not picking on Rand – my point is that these small touches can make a huge difference. Even if you go beyond text, you don't have to be an artist to create a simple illustration that effectively communicates an idea.
- Migraines: No cure, many treatments
- Some food triggers may be hard to identify because they can take 24 to 48 hours to cause symptoms. Many times, I will have my patients try an elimination diet for a few weeks to help determine whether food is playing a role in their headaches.
- Benefits of Guided Meditation Revealed
- His website offers many free guided meditation downloads and even an online meditation course, teaching the correct way to use meditation effectively.
Suggested Web Resources
- Self hypnosis. Learn and use Effectively.
- Learn Self Hypnosis. Use Self Hypnosis Effectively. This site is dedicated to self hypnosis.
- How to Effectively Use Self Hypnosis Scripts
- Self Hypnosis Scripts and How to Use Them Effectively. Almost all hypnotherapists These scripts can be used by people at any time or at any place.
- How Does Hypnosis Work, Can Anyone Be Hypnotized, And When
- Aug 18, 2008 patients ask whether hypnosis can be used to treat pain effectively. Can Anyone Be Hypnotized, And When Is It Used To Relieve Pain?
- Hypnosis: information about hypnosis and hypnotism
- Hypnotism can help with weight loss, stopping smoking, fear of public speaking and more. How to use hypnosis to help you lose weight easily and effectively.
Related searcheslist of neopets ogrin
hades minthe and leuce
miwok lake miwok
karl barth barmen declaration
zamboanga del norte geography
fuel injection benefits