From the Hypnosis FAQ by Todd I. Stark
Web version, revision 2. Last update: February 16, 1997.
Bower, G. (1990). Awareness, the unconscious and repression
: An experimental psychologist's perspective. In J.L. Singer
(Ed.), Repression and Dissociation: Implications for personality,
theory, psychopathology, and health. (Pp, 209-222). Chicago:
University of Chicago Press.
Bremner, J.D. et al. (1995). MRI-Based Measurement of Hippocampal
Volume in Patients with Combat-Related Posttraumatic Stress Disorder,
American Journal of Psychiatry, Vol. 152. No. 7, July,
1995. P. 973-98.
Capafons, Antonio & Amigo, Salvador, (1995). Emotional
Self-Regulation Therapy For Smoking Reduction. International
Journal of Clinical and Experimental Hypnosis, 43: 1, p. 7-19.
Coe, W.C. & Ryken, K. (1979). Hypnosis and risks to human
subjects. American Psychologist, 34, 673-681.
Dywan, Jane, (1995). The Illusion of Familiarity: An Alternative
to the Report-Criterion Account of Hypnotic Recall. International
Journal of Clinical and Experimental Hypnosis, 43:2, p. 194-211.
Erdelyi, Matthew Hugh (1994). Hypnotic Hypermnesia: The Empty
Set of Hypermnesia. International Journal of Clinical and
Experimental Hypnosis, 42:4, p. 379-390.
Erickson, M.H., (1938). A study of clinical and experimental
findings o hypnotic deafness: II. Experimental findings with a
conditioned response technique. J. Gen. Psychol., 19
Frauman, D., Lynn, S. & Brentar, J. (1993). Prevention
and therapeutic management of "negative effects" in
hypnotherapy. In J. Rhue, S. Lynn & I. Kirsch (Eds.) Handbook
of Clinical Hypnosis (pp. 95-120). Washington, D.C. American
Gabbard, Glen O. (1995). Trauma may have significant impact
on structure of affected person's brain. The Menninger
Letter. Vol 3, No. 9, September, 1995.
Garry, Maryanne, & Elizabeth Loftus, (1994). Pseudomemories
Without Hypnosis. International Journal of Clinical and
Experimental Hypnosis, 42:4, p. 363-378.
Glisky, M, Tataryn, D. & Kihlstrom, J., (1995). Hypnotizability
and Mental Imagery. International Journal of Clinical and
Experimental Hypnosis, 43: 1, p. 34-54.
Hassan, Steven, (1990). Combatting Cult Mind Control. Park
Hilgard, E.R., (1965). Hypnosis. Annual Review of Psychology.
Edited by Farnsworth, McNemar, & McNemar.
Hilgard, E.R., (1971). Hypnotic phenomena: The struggle for
scientific acceptance. American Scientist 59 (Sept.-Oct.):567-577.
Hilgard, J.R. (1974). Sequelae to hypnosis. International
Journal of Clinical and Experimental Hypnosis, 22, 281-298.
Hilgard, J.R., Hilgard, E.R. & Newman, M. (1961). Sequelae
to hypnotic induction with special reference to earlier chemical
anesthesia. Journal of Nervous and Mental Disorders,
133 : 461-78.
Holt, Robert R., (1964). Forcible indoctrination and personality
change. In Personality Change, edited by Phillip Worchel
and Donn Byrne, John Wiley and Sons.
Judd, F., Burrows, G., Dennerstein, L., (1985). The dangers
of hypnosis : a review. Australian Journal of Clinical
and Experimental Hypnosis, 13: 1-15.
Kihlstrom, John F. (1994). Hypnosis, Delayed Recall, and the
Principles of Memory. International Journal of Clinical
and Experimental Hypnosis, 42: 4, p. 337-345.
Kleinhauz, M., & Beran, B. (1984). Misuse of hypnosis :
a factor in psychopathology. American Journal of Clinical
Hypnosis, 26: 283-290.
Kleinhauz, M. & Eli, I. (1987). Potential deleterious effects
of hypnosis in the clinical setting. American Journal of
Clinical Hypnosis, 29 : 3, 133-159.
Levitt, Eugene E. (1995). Some Additional Light on the Childhood
Sexual Abuse-Psychopathology Axis. International Journal
of Clinical and Experimental Hypnosis, 43: 2, p. 145-162.
Lundholm, H. (1928). An experimental study of functional anesthesia
as induced by suggestion in hypnosis. J. Abnorm. (Soc.)
Psych., 23 : 337-355.
MacHovec, F.J. (1986). Hypnosis complications : Prevention
and risk management. Springfield, Il. : Charles C. Thomas.
Meares, A. (1961). An evaluation of the dangers of medical
hypnosis. Am. J. Clin. Hypnosis 4 : 90-97.
Nash, Michael R. (1994). Memory Distortion and Sexual Trauma:
The Problem of False Negatives and False Positives. International
Journal of Clinical and Experimental Hypnosis. 42: 4, p. 346-362
Orne, M.T. (1965). Undesireable effects of hypnosis : The determinants
and management. International Journal of Clinical and Experimental
Hypnosis, 13 : 226-237.
Rosen, H. (1957). Hypnosis, emental hygiene and the dentist-hypnotist.
A psychiatric discussion of dangers and potentialities of hypnosis
in dental practice. J. Am. Dental Assoc., 54 : 808-818.
Rosen, H. & Bartemeier, L.H., (1961). Hypnosis in medical
practice. JAMA, 175 : 976-79.
Sarbin, T.R. (1964). Role Theoretical Interpretation of Psychological
Change. In Personality Change, edited by Phillip Worchel
and Donn Byrne, John Wiley and Sons.
Schein, Edgar, (1961). Coercive Persuasion. Norton.
Segal, J. (1956). Testimony. In Communist interrogation,
indoctrination and exploitation of American military and political
prisoners. Washington, D.C. : U.S. Government Printing Office.
Spanos, Nicholas P., Burgess, Cheryl A., and Burgess, Melissa
Faith, (1994). Past-Life Identities, UFO Abductions, and Satanic
Ritual Abuse : The Social Construction of Memories. International
Journal of Clinical and Experimental Hypnosis. 42: 4, p. 433-446.
Wallace, Benjamin & Andrzej Kokoszka, (1995). Fluctuations
in Hypnotic Susceptibility and Imaging Ability Over A 16-Hour
Period. International Journal of Clinical and Experimental
Hypnosis, 43: 1, p. 20-33.
Whittelsea, B.W.A., Jacoby, L.L., & Girard, K., (1990). Illusions
of immediate memory : Evidence of an attributional basis for feelings
of familiarity and perceptual quality. Journal of Memory
and Language, 29, 716-732.
Williams, G.W., (1953). Difficulty in dehypnotizing. Journal
of Clinical and Experimental Hypnosis, 1, 3-12.
Zamansky, Harold S. & Ruehle, Beth L., (1995). Making Hypnosis
Happen: The Involuntariness of the Hypnotic Experience, International
Journal of Clinical and Experimental Hypnosis, 43: 4, p. 386-398.
Suggested Pdf Resources
- Hypnosis in Children Pediatricians and Counseling About the Military
- thors made the (dare I say . . .
- European Journal of Clinical Hypnosis
- All contributions must be typed and should include references, tables, and figure well as further information about other non-hypnotic interventions used.
- Investigations in Hypnosis
- Week Two: Evolution of hypnosis. Class one. - Franz Mesmer and “animal magnetism”.
- Special Report on Hypnotherapy.pub
- search for further details and specific references which clarify the medical establishment's views on hypnotherapy.
- Erickson, Milton H. Hypnotherapy, an exploratory casebook. Includes bibliographical references.
Suggested News Resources
- Kuan Yin - Ancient Extraterrestrial God?
- In 2004, a hypnosis client, Lena Lees, began to spontaneously channel Eastern Deity of Compassion Kuan Yin, thereby clarifying the Kuan Yin profound spiritual teachings.
- Amy Kuttab, Sean Christensen and I All Have Different Opinions on Amelie
- Manny Lennox of Atole will be performing solo as Braincrush at 7:30 pm, and Sara Dyberg of Pikara unlocks her fiddle loops and musical hypnosis at 8:00 pm. Pony Club is a collective gallery in the Everett Station Lofts, 652 NW Everett, #105.
- Secret files reveal our UFO sightings
- It later emerged that PC Godfrey had suffered “missing time” and under hypnosis described being enveloped in an intense white light. He told of lying on a table surrounded by small figures with bulb-like heads. He also found a scratch on his foot.
Suggested Web Resources
- Hypnosis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- For the states induced by hypnotic drugs, see Sleep and Unconsciousness. " Hypnotized" redirects here. 5.
- Hypnosis References - JayDee
- Past participants of the JayDee hypnotism show, share their real hypnosis stories and experiences.
- Hypnosis - References - Health.com
- Jun 30, 2009 In JE Pizzorno Jr, MT Murray, eds., Textbook of Natural Medicine , 3rd ed., pp.
- Hypnosis References - Hypnosis for Healing
- References for hypnotherapy (hypnosis) in Cleveland, Ohio with Donna Nowak CHT, CRT.