Weyland the Smith
Not British as such, he was imported by the Anglo-Saxons from the continent. He is known in Teutonic sources, Frankish sources, and in Scandinavia, where he is called Volund. The gist of his tale is that he loved a swan-maiden who lived with him for seven years, but disappeared at length. He pines for her, but awaits her return, making wondrous jewelry and artifacts in the meantime. Set upon by an outlaw king and his sons, he is hamstrung and marooned on a small island with a smithy at his disposal. He encompasses the death of the sons, the violation of their sister (who wears the ring he gave to his own love, stolen from him), and escapes the isle on a pair of contrived wings... He became a byword for the art of the smith, and the forging of miraculous objects; and he seems to have had a geas placed upon him with respect to his craft, to the effect that he could not refuse any commission, no matter how impossible the task, once he had been offered a payment.. Note the very typical thread of the maimed smith.
Suggested News Resources
- Backers seek new Happy Birthday Park site
- But a site at Clay Commons behind the Henry Clay just southeast of Chestnut and Fourth streets that had been made available for a park to honor Patty Smith Hill and Mildred Jane Hill, has been judged too small to do them justice.
- Recent transactions: north
- AMESBURY. 5 Timber Lane One-family Colonial, built in 2009, 1,904 square feet, 6 rooms, 3 bedrooms, 2.5 baths, on 11,715 square-foot lot.
- NCS boys soccer: De Anza wins Division 2 championship
- NCS boys soccer: De Anza wins Division 2 championship. By Matt Smith. Correspondent.
- East Bay high school scoreboard for Saturday, Feb. 27
- Harris 2 0-0 4, Dueberry 2 0-0 4, Duckett 3 1-2 9, Smith 10 0-0 21, Keane 1 2-3 4, Tanner 1 0-0 2, Campos 6 0-3 12, Ba 3 0-0 6. Totals 28 3-8 52. College Prep 0 14 12 6-- 32 ....
- NCS boys soccer: San Ramon Valley headed back to title game
- Campolindo relied on defense and goalie Kai Weyland to withstand Concord's attack and push ahead to Saturday's section final. The Cougars will host the Division 2 final against De Anza at 7 p.m.