Weyland the Smith
Not British as such, he was imported by the Anglo-Saxons from the continent. He is known in Teutonic sources, Frankish sources, and in Scandinavia, where he is called Volund. The gist of his tale is that he loved a swan-maiden who lived with him for seven years, but disappeared at length. He pines for her, but awaits her return, making wondrous jewelry and artifacts in the meantime. Set upon by an outlaw king and his sons, he is hamstrung and marooned on a small island with a smithy at his disposal. He encompasses the death of the sons, the violation of their sister (who wears the ring he gave to his own love, stolen from him), and escapes the isle on a pair of contrived wings... He became a byword for the art of the smith, and the forging of miraculous objects; and he seems to have had a geas placed upon him with respect to his craft, to the effect that he could not refuse any commission, no matter how impossible the task, once he had been offered a payment.. Note the very typical thread of the maimed smith.
Suggested Pdf Resources
- the lore of
- Weyland's Smithy, an ancient burial chamber near Oxford in England.
- Historical Metallurgy journal contents
- B.C. Worssam and J.
- Franks Casket
- Magi and continues there with that of the mythical smith Wayland.
- 1 Wayland Email Account Setup Instructions 1. Open Internet
- (Example: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- VOL. 25 NO. 1 MARCH 2011 ONEIDA, NY
- Mar 1, 2011 Kate Wayland-Smith. Anthony Wonderley. Don Cornue, Design & Layout Giles Wayland-Smith, Secretary.
Suggested News Resources
- Cincotta named baseball coach at Wayland
- Joe Cincotta was recently named the new baseball coach at Wayland High, replacing Bill Fulginite.
- Report: 10-month-old baby boy shot in head during drive-by shooting in Roseville
- WXYZ-TV reports the boyfriend's name is Kevin Lee Smith. Aug. 21, WXYZ: "While Kevin Lee Smith is only a person of interest he is to be considered to be armed and dangerous.
- Zeeland runners place at 5K event in Allegan
- The overall male winner was Kenneth Brooks of Portage, who was the first person to cross the finish line at 16:51. The second overall male winner was Jeff Layne of Wayland (17:58). In third place was Matthew Smith of Wyoming (18:10).
- Wayland Show, Norfolk, results
- Inter-breed (Judging panel) Sup., R. Partridge (Suffolk); res.
- Community mourns death of 5-year-old Detroit girl found in burned-out house
- By Michael Wayland | MLive.com A community this weekend mourned the death of a young girl who police say was suffocated and then burned in Detroit.
Suggested Web Resources
- Wayland the Smith - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- An illustration of Völundr.
- Wayland the Smith
- Wayland (or Weyland/Volundr/Volund/Vulcan) the Smith was the son of the sea giant Wate and the sea nymph Wac-hilt.
- Weyland Smith (comic book character)
- Weyland Smith was the Administrator in charge of the Farm, governing over the Fables. He was ousted during a revolt led by Dun the Pig and Goldilocks.