(spinner) The first of the three Fates, daughter of Zeus out of Themis. She is sometimes pictured as a young maiden bearing a spindle. Her
office it is to take the stuff of life and spin it into thread. See also Atropos and Lachesis.
Suggested News Resources
- Klotho Levels Linked to Enhanced Cognition
- CHICAGO — Klotho, an aging regulator and pleiotropic hormone, continues to show remarkable improvements in human and mice studies in countering the effects of aging and disease, such as Parkinson's disease and Alzheimer's disease, on the brain, ...
- Klotho: a tumor suppressor and modulator of the Wnt/β-catenin pathway in human
- Klotho, an anti-aging gene, has recently been shown to contribute to human hepatic tumorigenesis. In addition, it is known that Wnt signaling is antagonized by the protein klotho.
- Klotho Findings Connected with Chronic Psychological Stress
- Results showed participants under high chronic stress with more depressive symptoms displayed significantly lower levels of the klotho hormone in comparison with low-stressed participants. The decrease among those under high stress was age-dependent.
- Klotho and the Thread of Life – Can We Delay Aging?
- Clotho was the inspiration for naming klotho – a gene that somehow also seems to spin the thread of life. Klotho was another of so many serendipitous discoveries in science: while studying the phenotype of transgenic mice overexpressing another gene, ...
- Researchers examine effects of klotho on brain power, longevity
- Sure enough, when they manipulated the gene for klotho so mice produced more, they lived 30 percent longer. They also appeared to be more mentally fit than other mice. For example, mice that produced higher levels of klotho performed twice as well as ...