(Sumerian) Child of Duttur, Lord of shepherds and the flocks, and eternal adversary to Enkimdu. He is regarded as both divinity and royal ancestor in several Mesopotamian city-states, most notably Uruk, where he is listed as an earlier predescessor to the hero Gilgamesh. He has strong Underworld associations as well; the beloved of Inanna, He is taken by minions of Nergal to the depths when She visits the Final Land and then seeks to leave. Eventually, he returns to the upper land for 6 months of the year, while His place is taken then by His sister Gestinanna. Students of the Old Testament will recognize the Hebrew form of His name: Tammuz, which has become the 10th month of the Jewish calendar; and Tammuz, in a rare survival into modern times, is still used as the Iraqi name for the month of July.
Suggested News Resources
- Misterioasa Inanna/ Cea mai seducătoare zeiţă din lume
- O altă poveste relatează împrejurările căsătoriei sale cu zeul vegetaţiei, Dumuzi. Poate cel mai faimos poem este cel în care se povesteşte despre coborârea zeiţei în Infern.
- Afrodit, İnanna, Venüs, Dumuzi, Nevruz vesaire...
- Tarlaların ekin vermesi, dondurucu soğukların nihayet bulması hep bu birleşme sayesinde oluyordu ama yaz sıcaklarının ardından Dumuzi karısı İnanna'yı tekbaşına bırakarak yeraltına iner ve bir sonraki ilkbahara kadar orada, karanlıklar ülkesinde kalırdı!
- Why Jesus Talk Skeeves Me Out
- I had offered to do a reading of a passage from the Bible. It wouldn't contradict my ethics to read Song of Songs or the Corinthians passage on love.
- Unmasking the historical identity of Nimrod
- Interestingly, Su-en's daughter Inana/ Ishtar/ Semiramis (Artemis) is the one goddess who features prominently in the ambitions of the three candidates (plus a god called Dumuzi/Tammuz), and this common factor has confused many. It is easy to see that ...
- 5000-year-old musical scene found on pottery in Israel may reflect sacred
- The ritual is most commonly associated with the story of the goddess Inanna and her consort, Dumuzi and the idea was that the sexual union between the god and goddess brought on the harvest by keeping the land fertile.
Related searchesghost famous ghosts
meaning of dreams about infidelity
thringer sausage production