(Sumerian) A primordial entity. At the beginning of creation there were but two entities, Abzu and Tiamat, representing respectively the freshwater underworld sea and the saltwater surface ocean. Between them, many of the earliest entities were created, including An and Ki (Heaven and Earth). When Abzu was slain, Tiamat released monstrous creatures in vengeance, and was in turn slain by, as later version have it, Marduk. He used her corpse to form the world (her back the sky, her belly the earth, her breasts the mountains, etc. There are faint echoes in this of other mythoi, see Ymir for a particularly striking resonance
Suggested News Resources
- KATATONIA To Made Everyone Sad With The Fall Of Hearts This May
- This will be the first album from the group to feature new drummer Daniel “Mojjo” Moilanen and guitarist Roger Öjersson (Tiamat), and while there's no music to be heard yet, you can hear a few piano notes and whatever below.
- Tiamat arrives in Neverwinter on Xbox One
- Tiamat has arrived. The five-headed dragon queen has landed in Neverwinter on Xbox One to conclude the Tyranny of Dragons Campaign. Players will need to access the Temple of Tiamat in the Well of Dragons in order to banish her forever from the realms ...
- AVATARIUM Feat. CANDLEMASS, TIAMAT Members: New Rehearsal Video Posted Online
- AVATARIUM, the Swedish metal project whose recording lineup includes Leif Edling, founding bassist and main songwriter of Swedish doom metal legends CANDLEMASS, will release its new album, "The Girl With The Raven Mask", on October 23 via ...
- The origin of our epics
- Similarly in Babylonia, Tiamat, the water monster enters Euphrates and triggers a flood. She is then slain by Merodach and the situation is normalised. In Egypt, the story appears in a slightly different form.