Persian/Mesopotamian. Based on a Zoroastrian original (Mitra), Mithras became a virtually universal God in later Imperial times, especially among legionary soldiers. An austere and highly ethical Divinity, Mithras demanded honourable conduct, obedience to authority, truthfulness, loyalty, and personal rectitude. His cult was in direct competition with early Christianity, and may very well have won out in the end, were it not for the fact that it was an exclusively male religion; females of any species were not permitted within the sanctuaries. Christianity, while taking a dim view of females, nevertheless allowed them in the church as long as they behaved themselves, and so had a broader appeal.
Suggested News Resources
- Mithras Outperforms Benchmark Index In 2015, Keeps Dividend Flat
- Mithras said its total return in the year was 7.3% compared to 1.7% in 2014, which was also considerably higher than its benchmark, the FTSE All-Share Index, which yielded a total return of only 1.
- Archäologie: Heiligtum des Mithras-Kults in Kempraten SG entdeckt
- ST. GALLEN - SG - Bei den Ausgrabungen einer römischen Kleinstadt in Kempraten bei Rapperswil-Jona SG ist ein Heiligtum entdeckt worden, in dem der Gott Mithras verehrt wurde. Es fanden sich unter anderem Spuren von Gelagen, die zum Kult gehörten ...
- Von Jupiter bis Mithras – Museum Quintana zeigt Zeugnisse römischer Religion
- Das beliebte Nachmittagsprogramm im Museum Quintana findet im März in der Woche nach Ostern, am Mittwoch, 30. März, ab 14 Uhr statt. Die Veranstaltung hat diesmal die römische Religion zum Thema, unter dem Titel "Von Jupiter bis Mithras.
- Objects reveal life as it once was
- The sun-god Mithras was once widely worshipped across the Roman Empire. Little is now known about the beliefs and practices of the cult but several monumental sculptures have survived.
- Silicon Valley Billionaire Wants $30 Million For His Beach Access, National
- Mithras, you're an idiot. Public property is public property and regardless if the owner builds a road or not, our state has a right to build an easement/access path because that is what Californian's wrote our laws to do.