Pagan Holidays for the Southern Hemisphere
Many of the readers of RealMagick hail from the Southern Hemisphere. For them, the standard progression of the seasons is shifted... I.e. they are celebrating spring in Brazil, when those of us in the Northern Hemisphere are celebrating Fall.
Clearly the "standard" correspondences of holidays to dates of the year don't really apply to those in the Southern Hemisphere. What are they to do? Do they "rotate" the wheel of the year around?
They celebrate the holidays in accordance with the changing of the seasons just as we do. While the particular dates may be different, the rituals are the same. For instance, when pagans in the Northern Hemisphere are about to celebrate Yule, those in the Southern Hemisphere are about to celebrate Midsummer.
It is important not to confuse dates with the seasons themselves. The holidays celebrate the changes of the seasons, the birth and death of the God, and the three aspects of the Goddess.
The correspondence of Christmas with Yule on December 25th (which is so ingrained into the consciousness of northerners) is an artifact of the fact that Christianity evolved in the Northern Hemisphere and Christmas is the birth of the Christian God. If Christianity had evolved in Australia, for example, Christmas would be in July (together with the southern Yule celebration).
Suggested News Resources
- When is St Patrick's Day and everything else you need to know about the patron
- St Patrick defeated the pagan druids. The truth: This story is now believed to have been invented by a cleric, Muirchú, ...
- The left half - right half divide in human brains is a myth, scientist says
- “The pop culture idea (creative vs.
- Everything You Need to Know About the Winter Solstice
- Our planet orbits the sun while tilted at an average of 23.5 degrees, so the Northern and Southern Hemispheres receive unequal amounts of sunlight. This causes both the solstices ....
- W. SCOTT LAMB: Are Americans becoming more religious or secular?
- This photo taken May 3, 2013, shows a longtime exposure showing the stars in the sky over a cross of “Panagia Chrisospiliotissa”, a Christian Orthodox monastery outside of capital Nicosia, Cyprus.
Related searcheswan awk pansa
dream dictionary alley
blessed thaddeus mccarthy
34th governor of california
mfr moray firth radio
koko gorilla kokos cats