The Theban Alphabet
The Theban alphabet is used widely by Traditional Wiccans both ritually, and in their books of shadows. The first published reference to it is in Francis Barrett's The Magus, published at London in 1801. It is reputed to have been invented by Honorius of Thebes (an ancient city in Greece), hence the opt-used designation "The Runes of Honorius," but there is no credible supporting evidence to this fact. Its usage by Traditional Wiccans is based on its usage by the founder of modern Wicca, Gerald Gardner.
For the most part, this alphabet is used as a substitution cipher, occluding the original text in symbols. This has many purposes: to "encrypt" a message,
spell, or text so that it's meaning is not obvious, to impart a mystical quality to the text so written, abstracting it from the native language of
the user, to enable more effective magickal workings.
The correspondence between Theban and Latin letters. Note that
in Theban, there is no "J" or "U"; shown are common substitutions.
Download a Theban TrueType font for your computer:
Suggested Pdf Resources
- GC puzzle
- Jan 20, 2012 Bifid cipher. Theban alphabet. Phoenician Alphabet.
- Eyewitnesses to the Past: Reclaiming Ancient - InscriptiFact
- 1; Steve Connor, "Alphabet's Ancestor Discovered on Desert Rock," The ..... plateau between Qena and Luxor in Egypt as part of the Theban Desert Road.
- writing in the ancient mediterranean lascaux cave painting
- BC Theban vase painting has been interpreted as Paris abducting Helen to set the Trojan War in motion. Or is it Theseus leading. Ariadne from Crete?
- Mastering Witchcraft - Angelfire
- It is a symbol of defiance towards the dead letter as ...... or Theban Script, although this latter name does not necessarily imply a Greek or Egyptian derivation.
- Pagan Patterns and Designs - Tikaboo
- systems, without permission in writing from the publisher, except for brief passages which be ..... Theban Alphabet also called Witches Alphabet. 0.
Suggested News Resources
- California Bill to Restrict Travel Funding to Anti-Gay States
- The proposed ban is the first proposed after last year, when Indiana's religious freedom bill prompted Democratic governors from New York, Washington, and Connecticut and several mayors to issue temporary government travel bans. However, the bans ...
- A modern Antigone: Son of Saul by László Nemes
- We know the Nazi regime ultimately collapsed, like that of the of the King of Thebes in Greek mythology.
- US: Mississippi River flooding threatens millions
- Downstream in Thebes, the river is expected to surpass the record by two feet on Saturday.
- 5 reasons the Europa League is better than the Champions League
- Her brother, Cadmus, introduced the alphabet to Greece -- presumably it was called something different at the time -- and also, so the story goes, founded Thebes and killed the dragon that guarded the fountain of Dirce.
- The Next Frontier for LGBTQI Inclusion: Engaging Religion
- Mychal Copeland Co-editor of Struggling in Good Faith: LGBTQI Inclusion from 13 American Religious Perspectives and Director of InterfaithFamily Bay Area. When religion reporters were recently asked to name the most important religion news stories of ...
Suggested Web Resources
- Theban alphabet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- It is also known as the Honorian Alphabet or the Runes of Honorius after the legendary magus (Theban is not, however, a runic alphabet), or the Witches' ...
- Theban alphabet - Omniglot
- The origins of the Theban alphabet are lost in the mists of time. It is often called " The Runes of Honorius" after its reputed inventor, Honorius of Thebes. It is also ...
- Theban Alphabet Font · 1001 Fonts
- Download Theban Alphabet Font · Free for personal use · Also known as the Witch alphabet, has it's base in the 14'th century. Was used to cipher scientific ...
- Theban Script or "Witchs' Runes" - PaganPath
- The Theban Script origins and history, plus uses and printable bookmark for decoding.
- Theban Alphabet - YouTube
- Oct 2, 2009 Video requested by Felixwitch13. I hope this helped at all, it's kind of short and nothing you can't find online. Oh well.