The Rainmaker's Apprentice
Once a Rainmaker and her new apprentice were traveling through the forest. When they stopped at a stream to fill their canteens, the apprentice asked the Rainmaker if she could call the rain.
"Well," said the Rainmaker, as she looked about them at the stream and the forest and felt the gentle wind, "Call and we shall see."
Now the apprentice was glad for the chance to prove herself, and when they camped that night, she danced her best dance and sang her best song, and went to sleep dreaming of rain.
But when the next day came, the sky was dry and clear.
The apprentice was much surprised by this and remained quiet all day until they again stopped at a stream to drink. Finally the apprentice said that she would like to try again.
"Well," said the Rainmaker, as she looked at the stream and the forest and felt the gentle wind, "Call and we shall see."
Now the apprentice was very determined, and when they camped that night, she danced her best dance until she was very tired, and sang her best song until her voice was gone, and again fell asleep dreaming of rain.
But when the next day came, the sky was dry and clear.
Then the apprentice was very disappointed and began to think she could not call the rain. She was quiet all day as they traveled through the forest until they came at last to the beginning of a strangeling desert.
Then the Rainmaker turned and said to the apprentice, "Now you will call the rain."
This shocked the apprentice and she cried, "But how can I call the rain in the desert, here where it never rains, when I could not even call a mist in the forest where water is no stranger!"
But the Rainmaker only said, "Call and we shall see."
That night they camped deep in the desert and the apprentice, who was certain she could not call the rain, did her shortest dance and her simplest song and when she slept that night she only dreamed of sand and withered seeds.
But when the next day came, the sky was cloudy and a gentle rain was falling.
"But how?" said the apprentice to the Rainmaker. "When I did my best dance it did not rain. When I did my best song it did not rain. But here, in the desert, where I do my least, we're soaked from falling water?"
The Rainmaker, who was busy gathering fallen rain for the rest of their journey simply said, "While we were in the forest, neither the land nor ourselves lacked for water or needed any rain, but here in this unhappy desert, both the land and ourselves were dry."
"As an afternoon bonfire can shine less brightly than a new-moon candle, so too does magick often follow need, and help bring harmony to the world."
And the apprentice smiled and bent to help the Rainmaker catch the morning rain.
Suggested Pdf Resources
- The Bonus-Driven “Rainmaker” Financial Firm: How These Firms ...
- How Bonus-Driven “Rainmaker” Financial Firms Enrich Top Employees, Destroy ...... properties of the rainmaker firm influence the way the apprentice system.
- Grade 9
- The Midwife's Apprentice Karen Cushman. A Lonq Way Gone: Memoirs of a Boy Soldier ... The Glass Castle Jeannette Walls.
- New England Carpenters Training Fund Apprenticeship Program
- Apprenticeship Program. The New England ... Carpenters' Union Apprenticeship Program provides ...
- Occupational Licensing - American Economic Association
- the crafts to lengthen apprenticeship programs and limit the number of appren- ... ranging from fortune-tellers in Maryland to rainmakers in Arizona (Council of.
- The Whole Kettle of Fish in a Nutshell - Digital Commons @ Butler ...
- school system was headlined, "Kennedy Seeks Her Footing as Schools' Rainmaker. ... When the hit TV show The Apprentice was in the planning stages, NBC ...
Suggested News Resources
- Comment: We must run just to stay in place – Macfarlanes' head asks what it
- They certainly question the strange, often opaque feudal master/servant process by which the aspiring lawyer serves their apprenticeship. They then work (following the white rabbit down the hole past many locked doors) until they leave ...
- Dave Dardis, metal artist, creates monument and plans for solar eclipse in 2017
- 21, 2017, the next total solar eclipse, the one that scientists have determined will be best viewed along a line that runs right through Southern Illinois, specifically through Rainmaker Art Studio in Makanda. Pullout 2.
- Academy Awards 2016--Foreign Language Films
- In a series of flashbacks, we learn how Run developed from a simple village boy who was an apprentice to a rainmaker to a militant activist who resorts to assassination.
- Ring of Honor 14th Anniversary: The full rundown and why you should care
- So this match is not only an apprentice turning on a mentor, but a possible end to the Corino/Whitmer feud. Why you should care: This is the end of the Decade! While Colby may still technically be a member of the group (and even that is ...
- Ford lets employees share discounts outside family
- DETROIT -- Through the end of February, Ford Motor Co. is letting employees and retirees share their discount on a new car or truck with anyone who has a competitive vehicle, according to a memo distributed to dealers. It's rare for automakers to allow ...
Suggested Web Resources
- The Rainmaker (1997) - Full Cast & Crew - IMDb
- The Rainmaker (1997) cast and crew credits, including actors, actresses, directors, writers and more. ... sound mixer.
- The Rainmaker (1997) - IMDb
- IMDb > The Rainmaker (1997) ... The Rainmaker -- Francis Ford Coppola directs and scripts an exciting, star- ..... Erich Stratmann ....
- Become an Apprentice | New England Carpenters Training Fund
- Local Union 1996, 65 Rainmaker Dr. Unit 4, Portland, ME 04103. Burlington, VT: 2nd (second) ...
- rainmaker-rainmaker - What is Rainmaking
- In the shamanic tradition a man or woman becomes a rainmaker after showing a predilection and doing a long apprenticeship. While the means and methods ...
- Mercer Apprentice Program (MAP for Teens) - Mercer Museum ...
- The Mercer Apprentice Program (MAP) is designed to offer teen volunteers (ages 15-18) an opportunity to work in a museum environment while developing ...