The Suit of Cups: Tarot Card Meanings
1 ACE OF CUPS
Meaning: Beauty and pleasure, fullness, goodness, fertility, productiveness.
Reversed: Erosion, sterility, clouded joy, false heart.
2 OF CUPS - Love
Meaning: The unity of male and female in the broadest sense: can be inner harmony, can be relationship between two people based on equality, warm friendship, partnership, love-relationship. Perfect harmony, radiating joy and ecstasy.
Reversed: Unsatisfactory love, false friendship, crossed desires, misunderstandings, divorce, separation.
3 OF CUPS - Abundance
Meaning: Plenty, overflowing, sensuality. The good things of life, enjoy them while they are there, because the won't last forever.
Reversed: Loss of prestige. Delays.
4 OF CUPS - Luxury
Meaning: Pleasure or success mixed with anxiety, because it is decaying/coming to an end.
Reversed: Injustice, weakness.
5 OF CUPS - Disappointment
Meaning: Disturbance when least expected, frustration, disappointment in relationships, misfortune, sadness.
Reversed: Learn from your disappointments.
6 OF CUPS - Pleasure
Meaning: Well-being, harmony, ease, satisfaction, sexual pleasure, happiness.
Reversed: Thanklessness, not being able to enjoy, always making conditions.
7 OF CUPS - Debauch
Meaning: Fantasy, delusion, imagination. Illusionary success. Addiction or intoxication (alcohol , drugs, food, sex, etc.).
Reversed: Back to reality.
8 OF CUPS - Indolence
Meaning: Abandoned success, discontinuance of effort, decline of interest in anything, depression, misery.
Reversed: Effort continued until full success is attained. Recovery from depression.
9 OF CUPS - Happiness
Meaning: Joy, gladness, delight, pleasure and happiness, material attainment, good health, complete success.
Reversed: Material loss, mistakes, imperfections, vanity, self-praise.
10 OF CUPS - Satiety
Meaning: Emotional contentment and satisfaction, fulfillment followed by letting go (everything comes to an end).
Reversed: Waste, stagnation, debauchery.
PRINCESS OF CUPS
Meaning: A very gracious, sweet, tender, sensitive person. Meditative. Loyalty. Paranormal advice. A very helpful person.
Reversed: Indolent, selfish, luxurious person. A flatterer.
PRINCE OF CUPS
Meaning: Expressing and controlling deep, passionate desires. Following your deepest heart. Letting your soul take you into new directions. In secrecy and silence searching for power and wisdom in your life.
Reversed: Evil, merciless person with overweening ambition.
QUEEN OF CUPS
Meaning: Reflection and reception. Poetical. Gift of vision. Medium. Intuitive inner wisdom. Devoted, soft person. Sensitive, loving intimacy.
Reversed: Diffusion, dreaminess, irrationality, confusion, deceit, delusion, fears and nightmares.
KNIGHT OF CUPS
Meaning: Sensitive, wise counselor. Openness. Innocence. Showing your feelings, following your spontaneous insights. Compassion.
Reversed: Sensual, idle, untruthful, charlatan. Tendency to melancholy.
Suggested News Resources
- Review: Terrence Malick's 'Knight of Cups' offers stunning imagery in search
- “Knight of Cups,” his melancholy, minimalist, perplexing seventh film is, like his recent creations, another case of ethereal navel gazing at the expense of a wider view.
- Fool's Journey: A Tarot Reading for Restlessness
- To answer you today, I've used the Kitty Kahane Tarot (a bright, fantastical German tarot based on the classic Rider-Waite-Smith deck), and used a simple three-card spread. I decided ...
- Making the Tarot Literary Again
- Crispin presents her guide to the tarot deck alongside the stories of artists, writers, and musicians. At the end of her interpretation of each card, she offers a suggested list of supplemental material: poems, films, paintings.
- Movie Reviews: Knight of Cups and Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
- The story, such as it is, is keyed to John Bunyan's The Pilgrim's Progress and to the cards of the tarot (the Knight of Cups being one of them). Serious intent is also projected by Hanan Townshend's beautiful score, and by swatches of Grieg and Corelli ...
- Los Angeles gets the Terrence Malick treatment in Knight Of Cups
- named after tarot cards.