Colors in Psychology
"Personality is a mask you believe in."
If you wish to accomplish change through color then
it makes sense to first take a look at your own reactions
First choose your favorite color(s) from the color fields below,
next pick out the color(s) you dislike from the second color fields,
and finally analyze their meanings by reading the regarding text.
If your favorite color is not mentioned below, simply consider
of what components it exists (example: dark red, a combination
of red and black) and combine the meanings of the separate colors.
Your preferences and aversions for colors usually change in accordance
with phases in your life.
Another way of working with these colors is doing
a divination. Make simple paper squares and write the names
of the colors below on them, or color them appropriately. Turn
them around and shuffle your little cards. Pick out three cards;
the first one represents your path (the road your life takes now);
the second card expresses your goal (what you wish to achieve);
and the last one will reveal the reason (what are the deeper reasons
behind your actions). Use the descriptions in the first color fields
(the preferences) for the meanings. This is a simple divination,
but you'll find out that it works pretty well.
A preference for certain colors can point
at two things:
- self-expression (you choose the colors which match your personality;
for instance green for a lover of harmony and nature)
- completion (you choose the colors you need more of; for instance
an active, passionate person chooses blue colors to cool down
White points at innocence, purity, virginity, cleanliness,
freshness, simplicity, nothingness, oneness and completion,
truth. In certain cultures white is the color of death and
The color of the sun, life-force, vividity, vitality and
energy. The color of cheerfulness, curiosity, alternation,
flexibility, progress, amusement, contact through traveling
and communication, learning and practical knowledge. A feeling
for writing and speaking.
Red is associated with passionate love, sex, great energy,
impulse, action and stimulation, assertivity and aggression,
courage, strength and power, adventure, danger, warnings,
revolt and revolution. Temperamental and ambitious people
with a need for personal freedom.
Just like the wide turquoise sea you don't want to feel
restricted and you don't immediately bring to the surface
what goes on in you; emotions can remain hidden. A color
for non-triviality, renewal, innovation and inventions,
progressive technics, alternative ways of living together,
A spacy color, cool and soothing, dreamy and magical. Peace
and rest. Caution. For people who keep a certain distance,
but give calm and practical help; they are faithful and
loyal, have a sense for order, logic and rational thinking.
Flying in day-dreaming, ideals or nostalgia when felt misunderstood.
Dark blue is more severe and can be melancholic. Blue is
also the color of truth - and of death.
Purple / violet
Very neutral and indifferent,
non-expressive. It can be deliberate, but also lifeless,
fixed, depressed and apathic. Reserved, cool people; unwilling
to expose themselves or to have obligations. Grey can be
refined and tactful.
An aversion against certain colors gives information as
well. Possible explanations are:
Is foremost or solely interested in 'realistic' and tangible
things, not in illusions or things that are beyond seeing
or understanding. Knows and accepts the own imperfection
and does not wish to achieve perfection.
There can be emotional disappointment and bitterness about
contacts. Tendency to rationalize feelings, or to avoid
the depth of life by often changing relationships, many
superficial relationships and/or constant changing activities.
Being over-active, too impulsive, hot-tempered, aggressive
and egocentric, or having difficulties with people with
such characteristics. It can also symbolize deeply hidden
fears and rejection of your own assertivity
Looking for solidity and security in society, especially
in marriage. Afraid to think originally or to walk new paths.
Prefers to be straight to the point, no time for political
and tactical attitudes. Demands clarity, a knowing where
Suggested News Resources
- Magnetic Letters Taught Us More Than How to Spell
- In fact, until she was approached by the students of Wellesley College psychology professor Mary Calkins, she hadn't even thought of it as a peculiarity. She just assumed everybody saw letters in color.
- 5 things to know about local theater in March
- Friederichs, a junior at the University of Wisconsin–Madison, is working toward a degree in forensic psychology, and eventually hopes to use theater as a means of rehabilitating troubled teens who find themselves in the criminal justice system.
- South counselor to explain psychology of color
- As a part of individual professional reflection in the workplace, a South counselor will present The Art of Color March 21. Sandra Marshall will address how the psychology of color impacts people's overall appearance, confidence and energy. “I want the ...
- Can the psychology of color affect dating life?
- There are many reasons to be single, but those reasons can be exceptionally hard to find this time of year. You haven't met the right person. You're just doing you.
- Prison Uniforms Make It Harder to 'Go Straight'
- The prison lifted its ban on cosmetics, and the inmates picked out lip colors, eye shadows and blushes. Maybe a lot of this sounds too gender normative for the 21st century, but it seemed to work: ...
Related searchesklickitat tribe
chinatown toronto agincourt
little ice age volcanic activity
boeing chairman of the board
939 bay fm playlist
bharata ramayana king of ayodhya