From Self-Doubt to Self-Assurance: The Inner Journey of The Fool
Lack of self-confidence is an unseen enemy for many people. This foe keeps us from doing what we would love to do, from taking decisions that are good for us, and from expressing our uniqueness. Many men and women are flowers that never open up.
I know what I am talking about. Some years ago I felt like a dried flower myself, feeling unworthy and guilty and believing statements like: “You dare not do this, you will never succeed in that, you won’t come any further than making just a small start.” And then the story went on with: “If you would do or act like this for me, than at least you would solve something in my life and you would do something that makes sense.”
This is no special story. It appears in a myriad of variants and it ruins the lust for life for so many persons having received this basic message: “You are no good.” If you hear it often enough you’ll tend to believe it. And if you are no good, than you don’t deserve a good treatment, or attention for yourself, or other forms of love. At least you think so.
I have a suggestion: go through your old photographs and find a picture of yourself as a young child. Look at the openness, the innocence and the sparks of joy in these eyes. Feel the confidence this child has in the goodness of life. Sense the enthusiasm with which it undertakes something new.
This child is not lost; it forms an inseparable part of you. When you are grown up this child is referred to as the ‘inner child’.
If you find it difficult to be a good person for yourself it can be helpful to take care of the child inside you. Through nurturing the needs of this child you can find back the way to yourself. And bit by bit the endless thought machine in your mind slows down; your indecision and procrastination fade away; fatigue, depression and other symptoms leave you; your optimism grows and your physical appearance will look younger.
How do you live a life in accordance with your inner child?
A big difference between adults and children is, that grown-ups are very busy with working and running around after things considered to be of importance, while the child can play for hours with a tiny thing or simply enjoys watching things. So: take time for relaxation, be it a hobby, meditation, a long walk, or a vacation without a goal. Your only goal is enjoyment and its result is increased inner balance.
A second thing is that adults tend to hold on to the old ‘tried and tested’ which will assure that they get what they expect and that their life is in control. True, but the child in you wants to explore something new, challenging and adventurous! Something that makes it really feel alive. Most of the time you know what this is, for it are usually the things you deep down inside want so very much, but never dared to do. The child in you invites you to walk through the walls of impossibility you created yourself and jump into something new.
A huge third step is deciding yourself worthy of receiving love without being perfect. Grown-ups drive each other crazy with the idea that a bigger car or house, a better paid job, or a younger partner, can increase their human value or their happiness. A young child simply expects to be loved.
And a fourth thing is learning to listen to your inner wisdom in the form of your intuition and gut feelings. This will save you an enormous amount of doubt. I know it: adults believe in the rational mind for that is what intelligent human beings divides from animals, they say, but after having tried this for years I can assure you that you desperately need to combine intuitive wisdom with rational knowledge. I agree that your intuition can lead you on very unexpected journeys on which you have no idea of the possible outcome.
This is the journey of the first card of the tarot: the Fool. This card symbolizes the first step we take into a new direction. It shows the self-confidence, adventure, independence and joy of breaking out of an outgrown pattern and the curiosity for the things to come. The Fool does not torture his mind with “can I or can’t I” but simply tries it. He does not care about the judgments or misjudgments of others. He follows the call of his heart and expresses the joy and self-confidence of the inner child. And if something does not turn out the way he wants it, he does not reject himself. He simply accepts that he went wrong and takes another path.
This last sentence is of great importance: the Fool accepts that he went wrong, but does not translate it with “all about me is wrong” as we so often do. Be kind and gentle with yourself and take some steps on this very rewarding path of being content with yourself for no particular reason.
Suggested News Resources
- NPR Music's 50 Favorite Albums Of 2015
- We allow ourselves to be swept away, to be seduced, to be fooled by a good new trick or an old one produced with grace and confidence. 2015 was a .... The biggest stars of this pop moment are queens of self-empowerment.
- TOWIE's Sam Faiers poses with baby son as she reveals newborn is named Paul Tony
- The former The Only Way is Essex star and partner Paul Knightley welcomed their son into the world on December 29 and it has now been revealed he has been named after his dad and uncle. Sam told OK! the name was always planned, telling the ...
- The Best Theater of 2015
- The top trophies this year went to the senses-scrambling “The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time” (for best play) and the self-splintering autobiographical family portrait “Fun Home” (for best musical). ...
- The Complete List: NPR Music's Favorite Songs Of 2015
- These are the best songs of 2015, the ones we couldn't stop playing, the ones we shared, the ones we kept close all year long. Now we're happy to share them with you. Click on the "Launch the app!
- I'm Voting for Hillary Clinton Because She's a Woman
- Jillian Gutowitz Radio Personality at "Zach Sang & The Gang," LA-based writer, producer and half of Daft Punk for all you know. ASSOCIATED PRESS. "New drinking game: take a shot every time Hillary says 'as a woman' or 'as the first woman president,'" ...
Related searchescut scene animated cut scenes
south korea demographics
southern united states gdp
rock steady crew history