The majesty of the Oak has been recognized by many cultures. The Celts, the Germanic and Nordic tribes, and the ancient Greeks all attributed this tree to their main god.
To them the Oak represented power, protection and durability. The fiery Oak has strong masculine qualities; it is a symbol of inner and outer strength, courage and nobility of soul.
A healthy tree easily lives a thousand years. The wood is reknowned for its strength; anything made from oak will last long. The tree has a resilience against thunder and even seems to attract it. Hence its attribution to various gods of thunder, like Thor and Zeus/Jupiter.
A sacred oak forms the center of the Greek oracle of Dodoni, and Zeus already for centuries answers your questions by the rustling of the wind through its leaves.
Germanic tribes made peace and administered justice under an oak.
Both the Germans and the Celts celebrated the equinoxes with large fires from oak-wood.
The druids, the Celtic priests-magicians, had a vegetation cult in which they worshipped the spirits of several trees. To the druids the oak was considered to be chosen by the gods if a mistletoe grew on it; this was a very special combination of the sacred tree of the chief-god with the sacred all-healing viscum album. It was a spiritual marriage between sun and moon, heaven and earth. And it was a double sign of the eternity of life, when the tree of the sun-god, who ruled life and death, was fertilized by the evergreen (symbolizing everlasting life) mistletoe.
In an attempt to adapt pagan beliefs to christanity the following explanation is sometimes given to the combination oak and mistletoe: the bird that spread the seed of the mistletoe to the oak is the Holy Spirit, the viscum album is Jesus, and the oak-tree is God.
The druids discovered similarities between the characteristics of trees and human beings. According to the druid horoscope every part of the year is ruled by a tree, and persons born under that influence show certain character treats.
Not surprisingly the druid oak-type is born at the spring equinox, 21 march, when the sunlight becomes stronger. Oak-types are strongwilled, hardworking, independent, bold and selfconfident people. They are firmly grounded in their own opinion, what also means that they can be stubborn and inflexible. They are loyal, practical, realistic, business oriented and will work on until they reach their goal.
In the Bach flower therapy we use oak for the courageous hard workers who will never give up, who will tireless proceed in their dedication to a certain task, no matter how exhausted or depressed they may be. These dutiful and responsible people do not allow themselves any relaxation.
In herbal therapy we too use the oak (Quercus robur) to help regain strength for the exhausted and chronic ill person, or to increase strength for the one with a weak constitution. For this purpose we prepare a tea or tincture of the young bark, young leaves and the acorns. The oak contains a great amount of calcium, which builds up strength and immunity.
Because of the calcium oak can play a regulating role in problems with the thyroid gland, with osteoporosis or bone pains.
Resting with your back leaning against an oak will miraculously increase your energy.
Tea of the bark, externally applied, is a good help against eczema, acne, psoriasis, piles, ulcurs and burns. Here the doctrine of signatures teaches that the rough bark will have a healing effect on skinproblems.
The oak is a strong adstringent; very helpful in profuse bleedings, diarrhoea or oedema.
And last but not least: the druids believe that always carrying an acorn in your pocket will ensure a youthful appearance!
Suggested Pdf Resources
- MARCEL HOLYOAK: CURRICULUM VITAE Last updated July 19
- Holyoak, M. Development of an interim management plan for the threatened Valley Holyoak, M. Valley Elderberry Longhorn Beetle Habitat Management Plan.
- HISTORY OF HENRY HOLYOAK
- Henry Holyoak was born March 5, 1839, in Yardley, Worcestershire, England, the seventh child of George and Sarah Green Holyoak of that place.
- Induction as model selection
- Aug 5, 2008 Keith J. Holyoak*. Department of Psychology, University of California, *E-mail: holyoak@lifesci.
- Holyoak, 1980, 1983; Novick & Holyoak,. 1991). .
- A & E Electric General Electrical Ron Holyoak S-200 259-5723
- General Electrical. Ron Holyoak. S-200.
Suggested News Resources
- $6K goes to tree project
- Community Alliance Chairman John Holyoak said on top of the $6000 donation, there have been 12 commitments for sponsoring wells, which costs $250. “Some people are (sponsoring) more than one,” he said. “We already have checks coming in.
- Ronley Teper + Kosher Dill Spears @ Holy Oak!
- Ronley Teper's band will first do a set of ffantastic ffreaky ffolk... and can't wait to hear her live! Tom Waits, Lhasa,Julie Doiron, Lisa Germano, Nina Simone...
- Decatur General Foundation welcomes new members
- The lucky 12 enjoying this delicious meal were mom Vanessa, sister Grace, and friends Doug, Shelley, Britt and Ashton Bowling, Frank and Bryant Sivley and Todd, Sharon, Marissa and Maggie Holyoak.
- Bowie knife show, hospital benefit scheduled this weekend
- Starting at 9 am Saturday, classic weapon enthusiasts will flock to the Natchez Convention Center to enjoy eight hours of buying, trading and viewing, show organizer John Holyoak said. “There are going to be collectors from all over the US,” he said.
- Pollution and predators: a double whammy for tadpoles.
- Reeves, MK, M Perdue, GD Blakemore, DJ Rinella and M Holyoak. 2011. Twice as easy to catch?
Suggested Web Resources
- Keith Holyoak - UCLA Psychology
- Keith J. Holyoak conducts research in human reasoning, learning, decision making, and problem solving.
- Keith Holyoak - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- Keith James Holyoak (born January 16, 1950) is a researcher in cognitive psychology and cognitive science, working on human thinking and reasoning.
- Holy Oak | Free Music, Tour Dates, Photos, Videos
- Holy Oak's official profile including the latest music, albums, songs, music videos and more updates.
- Holy Oak Tattoo, Holyoke, MA : Reviews and maps - Yahoo! Local
- Holy Oak Tattoo, Holyoke, MA : Reviews and maps - Yahoo! Local, 413.536.
Related searcheshead human head anatomy
murder on the orient express
lithium chloride uses
fidel castro early years in power