Kissing Under the Mistletoe
The Druids considered the mistletoe to be a sacred plant and
believed it had miraculous properties which could cure illnesses,
serve as an antidote against poisons, ensure fertility and protect
against the ill effects of witchcraft.
Moreover, whenever enemies met under the mistletoe in the forest,
they had to lay down their arms and observe a truce until the next
day. From this has seemingly come the ancient custom of hanging a
ball of mistletoe from the ceiling and exchanging kisses under it
as a sign of friendship and goodwill.
Another version, however, says that this custom, which was widespread
among the Anglo-Saxons, was connected to the legend of Freya, goddess
of love, beauty and fertility. According to legend, a man had to kiss
any young girl who, without realizing it, found herself accidentally
under a sprig of mistletoe hanging from the ceiling.
Even if the pagan significance has been long forgotten, the custom
of exchanging a kiss under the mistletoe can still be found in many
European countries. Thus if a couple in love exchanges a kiss under
the mistletoe, it is interpreted as a promise to marry, as well as
a prediction of happiness and long life. In France, the custom
linked to mistletoe is reserved for New Year's Day: "le Gui du Jour
de l'An" (Mistletoe for the New Year). In Italy mistletoe is
exchanged as a gift near to the year end and is then hung up by the
entrance doorway until the next year's holiday season when it is
burned in the family's fireplace and replaced by a fresh sprig.
Today, in our North American culture, kisses can be exchanged under
the mistletoe any time during the holidays.
Suggested Pdf Resources
- THE source
- Kissing Under the Mistletoe at the. Airport. John's business trip had gone quite well, but he was ready to return home to the warmth of his family.
- Under the Mistletoe… Myth, Medicine, and More! Dr. Jan Haldeman
- The tradition of kissing under the mistletoe comes from Vikings who viewed it as the sacred plant of Frigga their Goddess of Love.
- Wilstar's Christmas Quiz
- How did the tradition of kissing under the mistletoe develop?
- “why do you never phone me” – getting to know viscum album
- hanging it up during the December festivities and getting to kiss someone under the Mistletoe.
- The Kissing Christmas Tree
- 当情侣在树下接吻的时候，圣诞树就会被点亮。真是太浪漫了。But Alice, what's the meaning of kissing under the mistletoe?
Suggested News Resources
- Grandee hit by auction price-rigging scandal
- “People were milling around, kissing under the mistletoe. There was a Santa with a wobbling bottom going hohoho. It was all very surreal, and there I was, peppering Sir Anthony with all these questions,” Mason recalls.
Suggested Web Resources
- Kissing Under the Mistletoe
- History of how kissing under the mistletoe originated. History tells us that kissing under the mistletoe has its roots in Celtic rituals and Norse mythology.
- Mistletoe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- According to ancient Christmas custom, a man and a woman who meet under a hanging of mistletoe were obliged to kiss.
- Why do we get kissed if we stand under the mistletoe?
- Since ancient times, the mistletoe has been one of the most magical, mysterious and sacred plants of European folklore.
- Kissing under the mistletoe on Christmas. - YouTube
- Dec 24, 2009 http://www.hotforwords.com to request words.
Related searchesxin dynasty
ancient roman technology aqueducts
dream dictionary examination
acetic acid use as solvent
ceramic forming techniques
gaulish language orthography