A selection of articles related to asceticism.
Original articles from our library related to the Asceticism. See Table of Contents for further available material (downloadable resources) on Asceticism.
- Buddha, the enlightened one, is primarily referred to Siddhartha Sakyamuni Gautama, the historical founder of Buddhism. He was a prince of a small kingdom in Kalinga (now Orissa), Northern India.
Religion & Philosophy >> Philosophy
- Am I Damned?: Part 2
- CAVEAT: It is impossible to answer a "theological" question simply and correctly at the same time. The reason for this is the fact that the theological arena involves reality not only beyond our capacity to adequately express, but even beyond that,...
Religions >> Christianity & Paganism
- This month's rune, Kenaz, is the sixth rune of the first aett of the Elder Futhark. Thus, we are now one-quarter of the way through our journey into the runes! The phonetic value of Kenaz is the hard "k" sound. One basic meaning of "Kenaz"...
Divination >> Rune Stones
- Our rune for this month is known in reconstructed Common Germanic as *Wunjo, and is used for the sound represented by the English letter W. After the Anglo-Saxons began to write with a modified form of Roman Script (the letters being used to write this...
Divination >> Rune Stones
- People of the Book: Fighting the Holy War
- At the heart of most of the world's great religions, there is a sacred text. This is usually a compilation of the words of the enlightened founder of the path or the interpretations of the life and teachings of this founder. Within this text is contained the...
Religion & Philosophy >> Religions
Asceticism is described in multiple online sources, as addition to our editors' articles, see section below for printable documents, Asceticism books and related discussion.
Suggested Pdf Resources
- This article will describe Christian asceticism, establish its foundation, and survey its practice. Christian asceticism.
- Orthodox Asceticism
- Our topic for this evening is Orthodox Asceticism.
- The Origins of Asceticism
- Portrays Origen as an ascetic exemplar.
Suggested News Resources
- The clash of screen punk resonates all next month
- It's a fashionable asceticism - the armor of a trusty leather jacket, or a shaved head, or a piercing that dares a passerby to look. It's an A for anarchy.
- Anna's India: Why a sob story works better than logic
- Aman Sharma/PTI The hunger strike resonates with the Indian public for two reasons: one, that there is a civilisational respect for asceticism; two, that we have all been fed a certain line non-stop about how independence was won from the British.
- Money doesn't bring you true wealth
- And far from any call to asceticism, I've experienced a delightful and, I believe, God-given irony.
- The infinity pool of patriotism
- Now if you look at Giridharadas's rediscovery, Ghosn's frugality and Murthy's asceticism , you see Indianization redrawing the map of globalisation . It is inclusive, expansive , instinctive, accommodating .
Suggested Web Resources
- Asceticism | Define Asceticism at Dictionary.com
- Asceticism definition at Dictionary.com, a free online dictionary with pronunciation, synonyms and translation. Look it up now!
- Ascetic - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster
- practicing strict self-denial as a measure of personal and especially spiritual discipline. 2. : austere in appearance, manner, or attitude.
- CATHOLIC ENCYCLOPEDIA: Asceticism
- The word asceticism comes from the Greek askesis which means practice, bodily exercise, and more especially, atheletic training.
- Asceticism is the practice of austere self-discipline, voluntary undertaken, in order to achieve a higher or spiritual ideal.
Great care has been taken to prepare the information on this page. Elements of the content come from factual and lexical knowledge databases, realmagick.com library and third-party sources. We appreciate your suggestions and comments on further improvements of the site.
Related searchesday list of famous days
mtis people canada mtis culture