A selection of articles related to bacchic rites.
Original articles from our library related to the Bacchic Rites. See Table of Contents for further available material (downloadable resources) on Bacchic Rites.
- Pagan Musings
- We're of the old religion, sired of Time, and born of our beloved Earth Mother. For too long the people have trodden a stony path that goes only onward beneath a sky that goes only upwards. The Horned God plays in a lonely glade for the people are scattered...
Religions >> Paganism & Wicca
- History of the Egyptian Religion, part IV: Middle Kingdom
- First Intermediate - Middle Kingdom (ca 2181 -1786 bc.) The powers that built the solar temples of the 5th dynasty and the pyramids of the 6th dynasty weakened towards the end of the Old Kingdom, perhaps as a result of eroding economics, leaving the King less...
Religions >> Egyptian
- Mother Of The Gods And The Father Of The Gael
- There is no surviving, or as yet translated, Creation story within Irish mythology. We learn from the Lebor Gabala Erenn, a text from the Christian Middle Ages, of the Tuatha De Danann, or "People of the Goddess Danu", who came to Ireland either...
Deities & Heros >> Celtic, Welsh, Irish & Brittish
- King Pentheus and his fateful encounter with the god Dionysus
- The story of king Pentheus and his fateful encounter with the god Dionysus is both horrifying and carries a certain warning. There arrived one day in Thebes a dancing god of great beauty and magnetism. So strong was his pull that all the women in that town...
Deities & Heros >> Greek
- History of the Egyptian Religion, part I: Early Dynastic Period
- I - Predynastic - Early Dynastic Period. The temples were in essence the *Home of the God* and thus a place where only Pharaoh as the Son of God and those he appointed as his deputies, could meet with the god. This goes all the way back to Archaic and...
Religions >> Egyptian
Bacchic Rites is described in multiple online sources, as addition to our editors' articles, see section below for printable documents, Bacchic Rites books and related discussion.
Suggested Pdf Resources
- Classical Greek tragedy and the inner world
- in Thebes amid ongoing Bacchic rites which. Pentheus resents and attempts to stop.
- 1 Julia Hornig TF: Katie Deutsch Dionysus and Pentheus: Binding
- Pentheus of performing Bacchic rites and honoring the god Dionysus, a god Pentheus does not acknowledge exists.
- Scythian and Spartan Analogies in Herodotos' Representation: Rites
- bakceúein péri çEllhsi o¬neidízousi). In Plato's Laws, Megillos claims that. Spartan men did not engage in Bacchic rites either (Leg.
Suggested News Resources
- The Myth of Tolerant Paganism
- As to Druids and the Bacchic rites, those were both persecuted due to civic or political reasons. The Druids were political leaders among the Gauls and were fomenting rebellion against the Empire.
Suggested Web Resources
- Dionysian Mysteries - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- The public rites are believed to be the older of the two.
- The Eleusinian and Bacchic Mysteries: Introduction
- Indeed, Herodotus asserts that “the rites called Orphic and Bacchic are in reality Egyptian and Pythagorean.
Great care has been taken to prepare the information on this page. Elements of the content come from factual and lexical knowledge databases, realmagick.com library and third-party sources. We appreciate your suggestions and comments on further improvements of the site.