A selection of articles related to calas affair.
Original articles from our library related to the Calas Affair. See Table of Contents for further available material (downloadable resources) on Calas Affair.
- The Character of Magick
- I have a friend, her husband is morbidly obese through indulgent overeating. Whole roasts at night! She feels betrayed. My husband is unconscious in the hospital bed, as I sit here I feel incredibly alone and abandoned. I miss him, yet he is right there. A...
Paganism & Wicca >> Daily Life
- 11 - Lust
- In most Tarot decks this card is called Strength. Lust however is the enjoyment of feeling strong in your life, it is lust for life, being the life-force itself! It is the intimately union of the sun (the lion, male principle) with the moon (the woman, female...
Tarot Cards >> The Major Arcana
- A Quick Guide to Reading Ordinary Playing Cards
- Divining from regular playing cards is an old practice and I am sure many of us know at least one fortune-telling game done with this tool. Reading regular cards is called cartomancy or metasymbology. Playing cards have been called "The Devil's Picture...
Divination >> Tarot Cards
- Everything you always wanted to know about the beliefs of the Founding Fathers that your Congressman will never tell you!
- Through the Dark Ages, civilization and learning languished under the iron rule of the church. Finally, through the rediscovery of the Pagan Classics, Plato, Aristotle, Epictetus, Plotinus and many other philosophers, the west began to see a glimmer of the...
Saga of Times Past >> History & Anthropology
- Lughnasadh (pronounced Loo-nas-ah), August 1st, is the first harvest festival in the Celtic and Neo-Pagan Year. Like all Celtic Fire Festivals, it begins on the eve of the actual day. Although it later became known as Christian Lammas, it still survives in...
Holidays >> Lammas
- Hyoscyamus niger
- Hyoscyamus niger is a remedy for the more passive psychoses. There certainly can be outbursts of violent aggression, but usually the patient is mainly occupied with him- or herself. These people are talking nonsense to themselves or to unseen people, often...
Remedies >> Remedies G
- Mythic Heroes of Celtic Ireland
- The Celtic mythology of Ireland is best summarized as consisting of four broad cycles. This month's article deals with mythic Celtic mortals, figures who populate the stories in the second and third cycles below. Four Cycles of Irish Mythology Foundation...
Saga of Times Past >> Legend and Prehistory
Calas Affair is described in multiple online sources, as addition to our editors' articles, see section below for printable documents, Calas Affair books and related discussion.
Suggested Pdf Resources
- Treatise on Tolerance
- parlement; the Calas affair was one such instance. Sponsored by the Church, a Monitory was an effective means of finding witnesses to a crime.
- Biased Judges Condemned Jean Calas
- Voltaire presented her story as a sarcastic counterpoint to the Calas affair, which he presented in a more sober style.
- The Malagrida and Calas affairs.
- The Torture Veto and America's Image
- Mar 11, 2008 with the Jean Calas affair in France (1760s): he was broken on the wheel and waterboarded.
Suggested News Resources
- Voltaire's Fight Against Dogma
- The Calas affair greatly strengthened the movement for criminal law reform and religious tolerance in France, although the reforms were not instituted until the 1780s. We may all be, to some degree, dogmatist.
Suggested Web Resources
- Jean Calas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- Jean Calas (1698 – 10 March 1762) was a merchant living in Toulouse, France, famous for having been the victim of a biased trial due to his being a Protestant.
- Voltaire and the Calas Affair
- The panel reversed Calas's conviction on March 9, 1765, and the government paid the family an indemnity.
- The Calas Affair by Grimm and the Correspondance Littéraire 1763
- There has been brought together in quite a thick volume all that has appeared concerning the unfortunate Calas Affair.
Great care has been taken to prepare the information on this page. Elements of the content come from factual and lexical knowledge databases, realmagick.com library and third-party sources. We appreciate your suggestions and comments on further improvements of the site.