Demetrius The Besieger
A selection of articles related to demetrius the besieger.
Original articles from our library related to the Demetrius The Besieger. See Table of Contents for further available material (downloadable resources) on Demetrius The Besieger.
- The Aeonic Perspective of the Enochian Temples
- The initiatory system of the Enochian Temples divides the path of initiation into four major stages, distinguished primarily by the types and sources of the influences they are sensitive to. Briefly, these stages are: 1. Lunar-planetary, focused in Yesod and...
Magick >> Enochian
- Bringing it Down to Earth: A Fractal Approach
- 'Clouds are not spheres, mountains are not cones, coastlines are not circles, and bark is not smooth, nor does lightning travel in a straight line.' B. Mandelbrot W e want to think about the future - it's our nature. Unlike other creatures, humans possess an...
Mystic Sciences >> Astrology
- Mother Of The Gods And The Father Of The Gael
- There is no surviving, or as yet translated, Creation story within Irish mythology. We learn from the Lebor Gabala Erenn, a text from the Christian Middle Ages, of the Tuatha De Danann, or "People of the Goddess Danu", who came to Ireland either...
Deities & Heros >> Celtic, Welsh, Irish & Brittish
- Select Cross-Cultural and Historical Personifications of Death
- This extensive introduction includes some of the more well known, along with some lesser known Death "incarnations", and I use that term loosely, as in many cultures, the Angel of Death can be quite an adept shapeshifter. We have tried to cull...
Mystic Sciences >> Necromantic Studies
- The Celtic Vedic Connection, Part I
- Of all the great ancient cultures perhaps no two share more parallels than those of the Celtic and Vedic peoples. A deep rooted affinity runs between them, what is present in one is mirrored in the other. Myths, Gods, Goddesses, even fairy tales bear a...
Religions >> Druidism
Demetrius The Besieger is described in multiple online sources, as addition to our editors' articles, see section below for printable documents, Demetrius The Besieger books and related discussion.
Suggested News Resources
- Democracy: The Least Bad Form of Government
- When Demetrius the Besieger, the son of one of Alexander's generals, seized Athens in 307 B.C., Athenians rushed to offer him divine honors as the "Savior God," and over the next 100 years, worshipping kings became commonplace.
- CoinWeek Ancient Coin Series - The Decline and Fall of Macedon
- Demetrius I, nicknamed “The Besieger” (Poliorcetes), who ruled from 306 to 283 BCE, was the first Macedonian king to place his own portrait on a coin. Many Greeks saw this as arrogance (hubris), since coinage traditionally bore images of the gods.
- $10 million gold coin in Portland: National Money Show shows off American
- Take, for example, a silver tetradrachm from 290 B.C., a coin roughly the size of an American quarter but with an intricate, sculptural depiction of Macedonian king Demetrius I (aka "The Besieger").
- The promise and the power of the ocean, a conduit for all history
- The ascendency of Rome would have been impossible without mastery of the sea, an era of sail-and-oar-powered warships – triremes and quinqueremes – and tyrant-rulers such as the wonderfully-named Demetrius “the Besieger”. Demetrius encouraged an ...
- Handing Out Knives to Madmen
- Two and a half millennia after an Athenian philosopher drank a poisoned cup of hemlock as punishment for crimes against the state, the ancient Greek world continues to captivate us.
Great care has been taken to prepare the information on this page. Elements of the content come from factual and lexical knowledge databases, realmagick.com library and third-party sources. We appreciate your suggestions and comments on further improvements of the site.