- Whales, worship and weird cabaret: The tropical island like Fiji that's Aussie
- You wouldn't think it by the weekly fakaleiti (drag) show, but Tonga would be a far wilder place if hordes of missionaries had given it a big miss. They stamped out cannibalism, human sacrifice, promiscuity and tattoos.
- Transgendered Tongan 'leitis' finding their way in the conservative country
- She's not considered a cross-dresser, despite the dresses she wears. She's not gay, despite being attracted to other men. She's a "fakaleiti", a term that translates roughly into "like a lady".
- NZ fa'afafine hope to challenge norms through dance
- "It just so happens to be that we are all representing as fa'afafine, akava'ine, takatāpui, fakaleiti - all those words," explains Mario Faumui, the group's creative director. "That's the term, 'in the manner of a woman'.
- Kiwis First to Officially Recognize Third Gender
- Māori and Pacific gender and sexual identities such as whakawahine, tangata ira tane and takatāpui (Māori), fa'afafine (Samoan), fakaleiti (Tongan), akava'ine (Cook Islands), mahu (Hawaiian), vaka sa lewa lewa (Fijian), rae rae (Tahitian) and fiafifine ...
- Pacific's 'third gender' tell stories through dance
- The lead choreographer, Amanaki Prescott-Faletau, says fa'afafine and fakaleiti are traditionally called on to entertain - and they're using this to get their own messages across.
Fakaleiti is described in multiple online sources, as addition to our editors' articles, see section below for printable documents, Fakaleiti books and related discussion.
Suggested News Resources
Great care has been taken to prepare the information on this page. Elements of the content come from factual and lexical knowledge databases, realmagick.com library and third-party sources. We appreciate your suggestions and comments on further improvements of the site.
Related searchesastrology description
radio documentary quotes
battle of dien bien phu aftermath
gulf of california
testicle testicular size