A selection of articles related to folk medicine.
Original articles from our library related to the Folk Medicine. See Table of Contents for further available material (downloadable resources) on Folk Medicine.
- Herbs of Folklore and Modern Medicine: White Willow, Aloe Vera, and Garlic
- Many of the medicinal herbs we use today have been studied by modern science for application in today’s medical field. These studies have shown that our ancestral folk uses of these herbs were very much correct in their applications. Here we will explore...
Earth Mysteries >> Herbalism
- History of Egyptian Medicine and Philosophy
- When medical knowledge past is considered, lack of aseptic technique, pain-killing drugs and antibiotics are an accepted part of our modern legend of these ancient healing practices. You will find that none of this is true when it comes to Ancient Egypt....
Religions >> Egyptian
- Origins of the Celts
- Two new groups of people emerge in Central Europe during the late Neolithic (New Stone Age) period, one certainly immigrant. Each group may be distinguished archaeologically by characteristic artifacts found in their respective burial sites. One was a Bell...
History & Anthropology >> Celtic & Irish
- What is hypnotic trance? Does it provide unusual physical or mental capacities?
- 2.1 'Trance;' descriptive or misleading? Most of the classical notions of hypnosis have long held that hypnosis was special in some way from other types of interpersonal communication and that an induction (preparatory process considered by some to be...
Parapsychology >> Hypnosis
- What is Shamanic Healing?
- “Shamans heals themselves. By working through their pain, they learn to help others." -Wounded Healin' "But the primitive magician, the medicine man, or the shaman is not only a sick man; he is, above all, a sick man who has been cured, who has...
Religions >> Native American, Shamanism
- Survivalists' Guide for the New Millennium: Chapter 6
- AS THE WORM TURNS Health and well being are part of the natural birthright of the human being. With all of its organs intact, the right diet, exercise and mental focus, a human body can overcome any disease. Even so, the effects of living in this...
Philosophy >> Survivalists Guide for the New Millennium
Folk Medicine is described in multiple online sources, as addition to our editors' articles, see section below for printable documents, Folk Medicine books and related discussion.
Suggested Pdf Resources
- Scottish Folk Medicine
- Scottish Folk Medicine. First people.
- EARLY KENTUCKY FOLKLIFE: Folk Medicine
- Folk medicine is all traditional beliefs about health and sickness.
- MEXICAN FOLK MEDICINE AND FOLK BELIEFS
- MEXICAN FOLK. MEDICINE AND FOLK. BELIEFS.
- Health, Healing and Folk Remedies: Cultural Competency for Health
- approaches to diagnosing and treating disease, also referred to as folk medicine or ethnomedical remedies.
- Timothy D. Walker: Doctors, Folk Medicine and the Inquisition. The
- Timothy D. Walker: Doctors, Folk Medicine and the Inquisition. The.
Suggested News Resources
- African Abortion Herbs May Save Lives
- Black cohosh is known under a variety of names in folk medicine such as black snakeroot, rattleroot, rattleweed, bugbane, bugwort and squawroot. Black cohosh is a member of the buttercup family.
- Natural remedies: Boulder's alternatives to modern medicine
- Mugwort/Moxa: A Eurasian perennial herb that is naturalized in North America and has aromatic leaves used in folk medicine and to flavor beverages.
- Traditional Uses of Allspice
- While in Jamaican folk medicine, allspice is supposedly made into a tea, which Jamaicans use for colds, menstrual cramps, and stomach complaints. Cubans have used the tea as a depurative, stimulant, and tonic.
Suggested Web Resources
- Folk Medicine
- Referenced article by a home healthcare nurse from West Virginia about the history of folk medicine and practices still in use.
- E A R T H . C L I N I C - Folk Remedies and Holistic Cures
- Folk Remedies Archive -- extensive Natural Cures and Healing database.
- Folk Medicine
- Includes searchable database by keyword, usage, condition, belief, date, region or ethnicity of origin.
- Amazon.com: Folk Medicine (9780345471741): D.C. Jarvis M.D.
- "A fascinating book by a distinguished Vermont physician.