- 'Field Notes': The Wonders Of Winter Adaptation
- Reptiles and amphibians have adopted a "passive" strategy in winter, preferring to hang out at the bottom of ponds or beneath rocks. Small birds and mammals have variable body temperature (known as heterothermy) and may even huddle to stay warm.
- Polar Bears Experience Limited Energy Savings in Summer, New Study Finds
- To maintain an interior body temperature that allows them to survive longer and, nowadays, more frequent swims, the bears temporarily cool the outermost tissues of their core to form an insulating shell -- a phenomenon called regional heterothermy.
- Meet the Comical Opah, the Only Truly Warm-Blooded Fish
- There's nothing about the opah that says “fast-moving predator”. Tuna, sharks, and swordfish are fast-moving predators and accordingly, their bodies look like streamlined torpedoes.
- Polar Bear Secrets: Starvation is Inevitable, Say Experts
- "This regional heterothermy may represent an adaptation to long-distance swims, although its limits remain unknown," the researchers wrote. One bear, for instance, was able to pull off a stunning 400-mile, 9-day swim.
- Madagascar divers find silver believed part of pirate stash
- March 16, 2015. Heterothermy, the ability of some animals to lower their metabolism and body temperature, is traditionally seen as an effective adaptation to predictable seasonal bottlenecks of unproductive cold periods. A new review suggests .
Heterothermy is described in multiple online sources, as addition to our editors' articles, see section below for printable documents, Heterothermy books and related discussion.
Suggested News Resources
Great care has been taken to prepare the information on this page. Elements of the content come from factual and lexical knowledge databases, realmagick.com library and third-party sources. We appreciate your suggestions and comments on further improvements of the site.
Related searchesthe urantia book criticism
resurrection religious examples
montessori method observation
may 13 incident causes of the riot
the dreamstone principal characters