A selection of articles related to metaphor.
Original articles from our library related to the Metaphor. See Table of Contents for further available material (downloadable resources) on Metaphor.
- The Skeptical Witch
- The Choir finished the last notes of the worship service. I sit down in unison with 3000 other people preparing to hear the word of the Lord from Apostle Benjamin. The worship service does not touch me. The words of the Apostle are empty for me. My mind is in...
Paganism & Wicca >> Daily Life
- Bringing it Down to Earth: A Fractal Approach
- 'Clouds are not spheres, mountains are not cones, coastlines are not circles, and bark is not smooth, nor does lightning travel in a straight line.' B. Mandelbrot W e want to think about the future - it's our nature. Unlike other creatures, humans possess an...
Mystic Sciences >> Astrology
- Hypnosis: A Selected Bibliography
- Index of bibliography sections Selected Periodicals (14 entries) Edited Overviews of General Theories of Hypnosis (5 entries) Specific Topics Related to Research into Hypnosis. General single-author overviews, non-special-state views, social andexperimental...
Parapsychology >> Hypnosis
- Hecate: Patroness Of Witchcraft and Witches
- Myth of Hecate Hecate is known as the dark Goddess of the moon. She witnessed the abduction of Persephone, daughter of Demeter. She was able to act as a mediator when Demeter bargained with Zeus to rescue her daughter. Hecate herself, presided over Persephone'...
Deities & Heros >> Greek
- God The Mother
- IN THE WESTERN WORLD, we are all familiar with the concept of a male god, whether the idea comes from Christianity, Judaism or Mohammedanism. When we think of a male god, at the back of our minds is a picture of an old man in the sky, who has a certain set of...
Religion & Philosophy >> Religions
- Thoughts on the Soul and Reincarnation
- Life is an effort to re-member one's connections to the all-knowing soul, which we have chosen to forget so that we may fully appriciate that knowlege by experiencing what it is like to not have that knowlege. We do not remember our choosing this...
Spirits >> The Soul
Metaphor is described in multiple online sources, as addition to our editors' articles, see section below for printable documents, Metaphor books and related discussion.
Suggested Pdf Resources
- Metaphors We Live By
- Make a list of some of the metaphors discussed by Lakoff and Johnson.
- Brain Metaphor and Brain Theory
- The life cycle of the dominant metaphor in a scientiﬁc theory demar- cates the life cycle metaphors is said to be the signature of transitions between paradigms.
- IS NO MERE METAPHOR
- By Robert Kubey and Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi. PHOTOGRAPHS BY CHIP SIMONS. IS NO MERE METAPHOR.
Suggested News Resources
- The Daily Dot: Interesting idea, but not a great metaphor
- And does the newspaper metaphor really make any sense for an online-publishing venture?
- 'We know they don't like us' Wheaton Warrenville South, Glenbard West football
- Out of that tradition comes a metaphor about climbing a mountain he uses to motivate his players.
- The mobilisation is large, but gain won't be equal: Aruna Roy
- I have to say that this campaign is looking at a religious metaphor where a person like Mr Hazare is deified and is symbolically seen as one who will deliver. The metaphor is powerful.
- US-China Basketball Brawl Becomes an Inappropriate Metaphor
- For many, the event became a metaphor for the animosity presumed to underpin the US-China relationship and, possibly, a lack of respect to Vice President Biden.
- Cancer: Fighting Words
- Also, try as we may, we cannot scour the language of metaphor. “Cancer” itself is a personification — well, a crustaceanification. A malignancy doesn't know or care if it's “mal.
Suggested Web Resources
- Metaphor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- A metaphor is a literary figure of speech that uses an image, story or tangible thing to represent a less tangible thing or some intangible quality or idea; e.g.
- Definition: Metaphor is when you use two nouns and compare or contrast them to one another. Unlike simile, you don't use "like" or "as" in the comparison.
- metaphor - definition and examples of metaphors - figures of speech
- A figure of speech in which an implicit comparison is made between two unlike things that actually have something in common.
- Mar 29, 1999 Metaphors are comparisons that show how two things that are not alike in most ways are similar in one important way.