A selection of articles related to obelisks.
Original articles from our library related to the Obelisks. See Table of Contents for further available material (downloadable resources) on Obelisks.
- History of the Egyptian Religion, part II: The Old Kingdom
- II - The Old Kingdom ca 2686-2181 BC During the Old Kingdom the Egyptian society moved from tribal communities to a fully developed theocratic system, where the power of the king was absolute. The great pyramids of Dynasty 4 was made possible by technological...
Religions >> Egyptian
Obelisks is described in multiple online sources, as addition to our editors' articles, see section below for printable documents, Obelisks books and related discussion.
Suggested Pdf Resources
- Secrets of Rome - Egyptian Rome - Obelisks in Rome
- Obelisks were associated with the cult to the Egyptian Sun god Amon-Ra. The original Egyptian term to indicate this particular monument was "TeKHeN".
- The problem of the obelisks, from a study of the unfinished obelisk at
- (The nearei obelisk leans to the left owing to soil-subsidence.
- The Observatory and Obelisks, Kew (Old Deer Park)
- Local History Notes. From Richmond Libraries' Local Studies Collection. Page 1 of 1.
- THE OBELISK LIGHTER OF QUEEN HATSHEPSUT
- obelisks still stands in situ: it is a monolith of granite, 28.5 metres long, weighing 374 metric The painted relief at Deir el-Bahari showing the obelisk barge (Fig.
Suggested News Resources
- Don't be afraid to accessorize in the garden
- Gazing balls, obelisks, decorative garden stakes and small signs all can be used to add color, texture and interest to a flower bed. I've seen many old farm implements used in the landscape. Finally, art and gardens go hand in hand.
- So: Be a tourist in Colon
- By Michelle P. So BEFORE the year ends, we will be seeing obelisks dotting Colon, a street in Cebu City made famous for its oldness and character. An obelisk is a four-sided shaft of stone that tapers toward a pyramidal top.
- The Tales of Sleepy Hollow Continue With the Distinguished Hoar Family of Concord
- See the four little obelisks marking the corners of the plot? [Photo 1] They're to remind us that William Wheildon was the Chair of the association that erected the Bunker Hill Monument, a 221-foot granite obelisk, in Boston's Charlestown neighborhood.
- Epitaph a small part of Milam pioneer's story
- The rows of conventional obelisks, monoliths, lichen-coated angels, arches, and crosses of yesteryear's burials stand in orderly fashion amid ornate memorials of the 20th century. But one marker seems to dominate this community of the dead.
- For the love of Krishna
- It's that time of the year when dahi handis hang over towering human obelisks in streets crowded by devotees to celebrate the birth of Lord Krishna.
Suggested Web Resources
- Obelisk - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- An obelisk is a tall four-sided narrow tapering monument which ends in a pyramid-like shape at the top, said to resemble a "petrified ray" of the sundisk.
- Sep 16, 1999 [Obelisk] The word obelisk is taken directly from Greek, where it is a diminutive of the word obelos, meaning a spit or similar pointed object.
- NOVA Online | Secrets of Lost Empires | Pharaoh's Obelisk
- Explores the science behind these ancient structures.
- Obelisk - Ancient Egypt for Kids
- These monuments provided places to write their name down in a very public way. Some monuments were temples. Others were obelisks.
- OBELISKS OF ROME
- The obelisk was initially erected by the Pharaoh Rameses II in Heliopolis.
history of south africa prehistory
fisher king celtic mythology