A selection of articles related to phylacteries.
Original articles from our library related to the Phylacteries. See Table of Contents for further available material (downloadable resources) on Phylacteries.
- King James Bible: Matthew, Chapter 23
- Chapter 23 23:1 Then spake Jesus to the multitude, and to his disciples, 23:2 Saying, The scribes and the Pharisees sit in Moses' seat: 23:3 All therefore whatsoever they bid you observe, that observe and do; but do not ye after their works: for they say, and...
New Testament >> Matthew
Phylacteries is described in multiple online sources, as addition to our editors' articles, see section below for printable documents, Phylacteries books and related discussion.
Suggested Pdf Resources
- the little bag in which Zusya kept his phylacteries, so that he
- the little bag in which Zusya kept his phylacteries, so that he and his family might buy the necessaries of life. From that time on, the man grew richer and richer.
- A Dozen Unusual Phylacteries
- Inspired by a thread on EnWorld (visit www.enworld.
- On the Term Phylacteries (Matt 23:5) Jeffrey H. Tigay The Harvard
- On the Term Phylacteries (Matt 23:5). Jeffrey H. Tigay.
- Jews, Indians, Phylacteries: Jerome on Matthew 23.5
- broaden their phylacteries and enlarge their tassels”1); here Jerome seems to be indicating a link per se, quod to the practice of wearing phylacteries itself.
- Commentary on Matthew 23:1-39 by Dr. Knox Chamblin
- prescribed in Num 15:38-39; Deut 22:12.
Suggested News Resources
- Denunciation of the Scribes, Pharisess
- They widen their phylacteries and lengthen their tassels. They love places of honor at banquets, seats of honor in synagogues, greetings in marketplaces, and the salutation 'Rabbi.' As for you, do not be called 'Rabbi.
- Baba Elazar's Murderer Hid Knife with his Tefillin
- Elazar Abuhatzeira (Baba Elazar) three weeks ago reveal another shock – the killer his the murder weapon with his tefillin [phylacteries], which contain parchments with sections of the Torah and are worn by Jews when praying on weekday mornings.
- 'J'accuse on Pollard'
- His kosher food has been served rotten and his phylacteries were constantly split open by overzealous guards.
- Among Rocks and Stones
- Observant Jews bind their head and arms with phylacteries, and on holy days even Reform Jews can be seen touching their prayer books to the Torah as it makes its rounds through the congregation.
- Tisha B'Av: Jewish Day of Fasting and Mourning Ends Tuesday Night
- On Tisha b'Av afternoon, many Jews will put on their tefilin (phylacteries)—a symbol of dignity and refusal to give up on our distinctive identity.
Suggested Web Resources
- Phylactery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- Phylactery may refer to: An amulet or charm.
- JewishEncyclopedia.com - PHYLACTERIES
- The laws governing the wearing of phylacteries were derived by the Rabbis from four Biblical passages (Deut. vi. 8, xi.
- phylacteries - definition of phylacteries by the Free Online Dictionary
- phy·lac·ter·y (f -l k t -r ). n. pl.