A selection of articles related to saturnalia.
Original articles from our library related to the Saturnalia. See Table of Contents for further available material (downloadable resources) on Saturnalia.
- Pagan Mythology
- Is the traditional story presented as an historical event that serves to illustrate part of the world view of a people or explain a practice, belief, or natural phenomenon. The mythological beliefs a culture shares gives shape to its actions and choices....
Paganism & Wicca >> Holidays
- How Odin Became Santa Claus: Symbolism and Pagan Origins of a Gift-Giving Saint
- The story begins in the northern regions of Europe where the supreme god Odin, also known as Wodan among the German tribes, reigned. (He still lives among us in Wednesday, which is Wodan’s day). Odin/Wodan was the god of wisdom, magick and occult knowledge,...
Deities & Heros >> Nordic & Germanic
Saturnalia is described in multiple online sources, as addition to our editors' articles, see section below for printable documents, Saturnalia books and related discussion.
Suggested News Resources
- That time Prince saved a public library, and more book news
- It would institute a period of bad behaviour as one's own private glumly gleeful saturnalia, world turned upside down, lord of misrule regulated havoc, for a short period before the great slog of getting on with it began again, cancer or no cancer.
- What It's Like Being a Reverend in the Church of Satan
- Ashley S. Palmer is 31 years old and lives with his wife in Thanet, Kent. With a waxed mustache and lustrous beard, he looks indistinguishable from a hundred other "Shoreditch got too real, so I moved to the Home Counties" types.
- Christmas, Yuletide, Saturnalia or Midwinter?
- Christmas owes its roots to the ancient Roman holiday of Saturnalia, which was a pagan festival which was celebrated from December 17-25 each year. This custom was altered and absorbed into Christmas, and this allowed early Christians to gradually ...