Somerset Place Names
A selection of articles related to somerset place names.
Original articles from our library related to the Somerset Place Names. See Table of Contents for further available material (downloadable resources) on Somerset Place Names.
- King James Bible: Numbers, Chapter 1
- Chapter 1 1:1 And the LORD spake unto Moses in the wilderness of Sinai, in the tabernacle of the congregation, on the first day of the second month, in the second year after they were come out of the land of Egypt, saying, 1:2 Take ye the sum of all the...
Old Testament >> Numbers
- Love and Clarity
- Literally any state of mind may be created or enhanced within. It is commonly assumed that our thoughts and feelings are difficult, if not impossible, to change at will. But this is not so. The meditator soon realizes that it is they who are primarily...
Mind >> Telepathy and Group Mind
- Ostara - The Vernal Equimox
- ABOUT OSTARA | RITUAL | FOODS | REFERENCES ABOUT OSTARA Ostara (pronounced Oh-star-ah) is also called Eostre, Easter, Vernal Equinox, Spring Equinox, and the First Day of Spring. This is the time of year when day & night are equal, and heralds the return of...
Holidays >> Ostara
- Beltane - The Lover's Holiday
- ABOUT BELTANE | RITUAL | FOODS | REFERENCES ABOUT BELTANE Beltane is celebrated on May 1st and is one of the original Celtic festivals, Samhain being the other one. Beltane or May Day is also known as the Lover's holiday. Beltane is pronounced bel-tene, "...
Holidays >> Beltaine
- The First Congregational Church of Wicca
- Witchcraft is a religion of field and grove, river and stream. In coven or individually, we perform rituals to renew our connections with the Goddess and God. However, what suits one may not answer the needs of another. This need is being satisfied by a new...
Religions >> Paganism & Wicca
- What are the names for the thirteen moons of the year?
- There are thirteen Lunar months in the year, the Full Moon is near the mid point of the Lunar Month. The Lunar Moons listed here may not always occur as given because the first New Moon of a new Lunar Year may not coincide with the first day of the first...
Religions >> Paganism & Wicca
- Samhain, The Celtic New Year
- Samhain (pronounced Sowain, Sah-uin, or Sahm-hayn) is also called the Celtic New Year, The Third harvest, All Hollows Eve, the Day of the Dead, and of course Halloween. There are many more names for Samhain, but rather then having a different meaning, they...
Holidays >> Samhain
Somerset Place Names is described in multiple online sources, as addition to our editors' articles, see section below for printable documents, Somerset Place Names books and related discussion.
Suggested Pdf Resources
- Waterfall Gully place names plan
- Jul 8, 2011 Regional Council of Somerset. Scale 1:12500. 0.
- Christchurch street names F to G
- Origin of name. Suburb. Additional information.
- Chesterblade, Somerset, with a reflection on the element chester
- 23485 in the Somerset Sites and Monuments Register is a Roman villa at. Manor Farm JOURNAL OF THE ENGLISH PLACE-NAME SOCIETY 38 (2006).
- ELEVENTH SERIES.-YOL. VII
- Ac, the terminal in place-names, 74 . Berrysfield, meaning of the place-name, 57. " Bethlem Gabor," name ...
- Westcountry Studies Newsletter including
- North Devon : The Authorities, 2010. 139p : maps, charts, tables ; 30cm. 25.
Suggested News Resources
- Deerstalker: 'Don't believe everything you read in print'
- This past week Deerstalker has been pondering Somerset place names - was this God's finest hour in a winning round of Scrabble?
Suggested Web Resources
- Somerset - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- Somerset's county town, Taunton, is in the south. The archaic county name Somersetshire is first mentioned in the Chronicle's entry for 878.
- Somerset Gazetteer
- Gazetteer of Somerset Place names found on County Series Maps. Click on a place name to go to the image of the corresponding map.
- Full text of "The place-names of Somerset"
- I may claim that there is no book on Somerset Place Names yet pub- lished that contains so many.
- Somerset Place Names
- Here are a few Somerset placenames that demonstrate other Celtic origins. The following abbreviations have been used: (B) Brythonic and (D) Old Devonian.
- Somerset Place Names - Mumblings of a so-called writer
- Apr 11, 2010 This week saw the publication of Somerset Place Names - a bit of a landmark as it is the twelfth.
Great care has been taken to prepare the information on this page. Elements of the content come from factual and lexical knowledge databases, realmagick.com library and third-party sources. We appreciate your suggestions and comments on further improvements of the site.