- Top Picks: Flora or Fauna
- Ahead of the Antique Garden Furniture Fair at the New York Botanical Gardens opening April 29, 2016 and continuing through the weekend to May 1, we have brought you a selection of pieces that are sure to ignite your inner naturalist.
- Look for the bold, vibrant Oriental poppy
- Beds usually require little thinning, only every five or six years. Enjoy the brilliant beauty of this bold flower, but do not be concerned about growing opium. The opium poppy, Papaver somniferum, is an annual with a similar flower, but different seeds.
- The dope on opium
- The word “opium” comes from the Greek word “opion” meaning (poppy juice) which is the thick liquid from the Papaver somniferum (poppy plant). To produce opium, incisions are made in the poppy's bulbous corolla to release a milky substance which is ...
- The poppy seed poser
- Opium is produced only if the seed pods of Papaver somniferum are slashed before they are mature. The stuff then oozes from the pods. A day after Wan Abdullah's warning, Health Minister S Subramaniam issued a statement to say that poppy seeds were not ...
- Master Gardener
- Just in case you were wondering, these are not Papaver somniferum, the opium poppy. The poppies in the Dream Garden are grown for a stunning show, not for eating the seeds or shady activities. The poppy performance will probably peak during the last ...
Somniferum is described in multiple online sources, as addition to our editors' articles, see section below for printable documents, Somniferum books and related discussion.
Suggested News Resources
Related searchespeafowl food
navi mumbai infrastructure