A selection of articles related to varna caste.
Original articles from our library related to the Varna Caste. See Table of Contents for further available material (downloadable resources) on Varna Caste.
- Hinduism: An Overview
- Hinduism is believed to be the oldest organized religion in the world. It ranks as the third largest religion in the world after Christianity and Islam.
Religion & Philosophy >> Religions
- The Celtic Vedic Connection, Part I
- Of all the great ancient cultures perhaps no two share more parallels than those of the Celtic and Vedic peoples. A deep rooted affinity runs between them, what is present in one is mirrored in the other. Myths, Gods, Goddesses, even fairy tales bear a...
Religions >> Druidism
- Mother Of The Gods And The Father Of The Gael
- There is no surviving, or as yet translated, Creation story within Irish mythology. We learn from the Lebor Gabala Erenn, a text from the Christian Middle Ages, of the Tuatha De Danann, or "People of the Goddess Danu", who came to Ireland either...
Deities & Heros >> Celtic, Welsh, Irish & Brittish
- Of Master and Discipline
- Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Commentary Part 1 The following is a fictional account of a spiritual awakening with a factual basis. This five part series is offered to promote and encourage the practices of the World Mind Society, making the...
Mind >> World Mind
- This month's rune, Kenaz, is the sixth rune of the first aett of the Elder Futhark. Thus, we are now one-quarter of the way through our journey into the runes! The phonetic value of Kenaz is the hard "k" sound. One basic meaning of "Kenaz"...
Divination >> Rune Stones
Varna Caste is described in multiple online sources, as addition to our editors' articles, see section below for printable documents, Varna Caste books and related discussion.
Suggested News Resources
- How India's caste system works
- There is an understanding that in Indian society there have been castes based on social classes (from the ancient Vedic society, referred to as Varna) or on birth (that usually means hereditary occupations or professions, referred to as Jäti).
- Tragedy of those 'who must not be touched': All you need to know about the
- The Varna or caste division propounded in the Rig Veda describes the society as a four-varna or caste system. The supreme varna is Brahman, the second is Kshatriya, the third is Vaishya and the last is Sudra.
- Bulgarian diplomacy should respond adequately to Monica Macovei's letter: MP
- Sofia. “Bulgarian diplomacy should respond in an adequate and timely statesmanlike way to the letter of Romanian MEP Monica Macovei,” said Manol Genov, MP with the Bulgarian Socialist Party (BSP) Leftist Bulgaria and member of the parliamentary ...
- Mired in Dravidian politics: Were Tamil Nadu's Isai Vellalars always socially
- The standard narrative surrounding the history of oppression of the Devadasis, and the Isai Vellalar caste more generally, is built on the understanding that they belong to the fourth varna, the Sudras.
- There is strategy for minorities in Bulgaria: MP
- Sofia. “There is a strategy for minorities in Bulgaria and it could not be said the Bulgarian state does not treat Bulgarian citizens well,” Georg Georgiev, MP with the Citizens for European Development of Bulgaria (CEDB) and member of the committee on ...
Suggested Web Resources
- Varna (Hinduism) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- This quadruple division is an ancient stratification of society is not to be confused with the much more nuanced jati or "caste". The varna system is discussed in ...
- varna | Hinduism | Britannica.com
- In modern times, traditional Hindus, awakened to the inequities of the caste system yet believing the four-varna system to be fundamental to the good society, ...
- Caste and Varna - The Hindu Universe
- The ancient culture of India was based upon a system of social diversification according to spiritual development. Four orders of society were recognized based ...
- Heart of Hinduism: The Four Varnas - Iskcon Educational Services
- They are regulated by the system of four varnas (social classes) and four ashrams ... (For more information on actual practice and related issues of caste and ...
- The Caste System of Hindu Society - Huffington Post
- Jun 20, 2011 Pankaj Jain, Ph.D. Teaching and researching religions, languages, literatures, films, and ecology of India and Asia.