Viking Place Names
A selection of articles related to viking place names.
Original articles from our library related to the Viking Place Names. See Table of Contents for further available material (downloadable resources) on Viking Place Names.
- King James Bible: Numbers, Chapter 1
- Chapter 1 1:1 And the LORD spake unto Moses in the wilderness of Sinai, in the tabernacle of the congregation, on the first day of the second month, in the second year after they were come out of the land of Egypt, saying, 1:2 Take ye the sum of all the...
Old Testament >> Numbers
- Love and Clarity
- Literally any state of mind may be created or enhanced within. It is commonly assumed that our thoughts and feelings are difficult, if not impossible, to change at will. But this is not so. The meditator soon realizes that it is they who are primarily...
Mind >> Telepathy and Group Mind
- Ostara - The Vernal Equimox
- ABOUT OSTARA | RITUAL | FOODS | REFERENCES ABOUT OSTARA Ostara (pronounced Oh-star-ah) is also called Eostre, Easter, Vernal Equinox, Spring Equinox, and the First Day of Spring. This is the time of year when day & night are equal, and heralds the return of...
Holidays >> Ostara
- Beltane - The Lover's Holiday
- ABOUT BELTANE | RITUAL | FOODS | REFERENCES ABOUT BELTANE Beltane is celebrated on May 1st and is one of the original Celtic festivals, Samhain being the other one. Beltane or May Day is also known as the Lover's holiday. Beltane is pronounced bel-tene, "...
Holidays >> Beltaine
- The First Congregational Church of Wicca
- Witchcraft is a religion of field and grove, river and stream. In coven or individually, we perform rituals to renew our connections with the Goddess and God. However, what suits one may not answer the needs of another. This need is being satisfied by a new...
Religions >> Paganism & Wicca
- Story of the Celts: The Ancient Celts
- The Ancient Celts [ 8 ] What is surprising to most modern readers is just how widespread across Europe the Celts once were. The Celts have been called the "Fathers of Europe," that is north of the Greco-Roman Mediterranean. Long before the Germanic...
History & Anthropology >> Celtic & Irish
- What are the names for the thirteen moons of the year?
- There are thirteen Lunar months in the year, the Full Moon is near the mid point of the Lunar Month. The Lunar Moons listed here may not always occur as given because the first New Moon of a new Lunar Year may not coincide with the first day of the first...
Religions >> Paganism & Wicca
Viking Place Names is described in multiple online sources, as addition to our editors' articles, see section below for printable documents, Viking Place Names books and related discussion.
Suggested Pdf Resources
- VIKINGS IN THE BRITISH ISLES: THE PLACE-NAME EVIDENCE
- recent research dealing with the place-name evidence for Viking settlement in the British Isles.
- 235 Kb PDF: Guide to Scandinavian origins of place names in
- majority of place names in this area are of Scandinavian origin.
- Linguistic patterns in the place-names of Norway and the Northern
- well as a rich legacy of place-names which is the most tangible evidence of. Shetland and Orkney‟s Norse past.
- Thorsten Andersson - Scottish Place-Name Society
- From Starafjall to Starling Hill. An investigation of the formation and development of Old Norse place-names in. Orkney.
- Styleguide for Viking and Medieval Scandinavia
- All articles in Viking and Medieval Scandinavia should be in English. MHRA recommends (§2.6) using English forms of place-names where these exist (e.
Suggested News Resources
- Look north, Scotland
- Culturally speaking, Norse occupation left Scotland with Viking place names and a Presbyterian share of the Lutheran distaste for pomp, bling, display and status. But England had its own brush with Viking occupation.
Suggested Web Resources
- Viking Placenames
- Placenames. The Viking Age was a time of expansion when the population in Scandinavia increased rapidly. People had to find new land to feed their families.
- Vikings & their Gods - Viking Place Names
- There are four main categories of Viking place names in England. Place names ending in -by, such as Selby or Whitby.
- Viking Answer Lady Webpage - Old Norse Names
- However, while name meanings would not have been the consideration in naming a child, still they had their place, even in the Viking Age.
- Scandinavian Names - The Academy of Saint Gabriel
- This article gives a timeline and a guide for choosing the language appropriate to a particular time and place. Old Norse Names.
Great care has been taken to prepare the information on this page. Elements of the content come from factual and lexical knowledge databases, realmagick.com library and third-party sources. We appreciate your suggestions and comments on further improvements of the site.
Viking Place Names Topics
Related searchesendangered to extinct
hasidic judaism since the holocaust
dream analysis robbery
albert speer nuremberg trials
lahore shimla pahari
q q trivia
dillingham alaska history